Beer & Brewer White Xmas Ale - Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Reaction score
Hi all,

In the latest Beer & Brewer mag there's an AG recipe for a White Xmas Ale with ingredients as follows:

20 litres kettle volume
75% mash efficiency
Gravity 1.057 sg 14plato
Colour 4 srm
2.5kg pale malt
1.75kg wheat malt
0.25kg Wheat flour/Flaked wheat
0.25kg Orange Blossom Honey (added at end of boil)

Theoretical 16 IBU 90minute boil
Cascade 5.7% AA 15gms 60mins
Cascade 5.7% AA 15gms 5mins
Zest of one large lemon 5mins
Grated ginger 15gms 5mins
Final Gravity 1.008sg 2 Plato
ABV 6.1%

Directions/intentions/advice on yeast in the article (page 78)

Can anyone help in converting this to an extract brew?

I could fumble through it myself getting the proportions of malt extract right, but I don't know how to handle the Wheat Flour/Flaked wheat component...

Advice?

just drop the wheat flour/flaked wheat bit - you need to mash those, which you can't do if you are going straight extract.

just drop the wheat flour/flaked wheat bit - you need to mash those, which you can't do if you are going straight extract.
Just off the top of my head, maybe replace with
1.5kg-2kg LLME
1.5kg Wheat LME

I haven't got my hands on the latest copy of B&B yet unfortunately, but this looks like it could be a good xmas beer.

Question about the volume; is that 20 litres the pre or post boil volume?

And is there a recommended mash temperature? I guess 64C would be pretty good for this style of beer.

Cheers,
Kris.

They've stolen my name... brewed this beer a couple of years ago.

Witbier with cinnamon and nutmeg spice additions.

Hi all,

In the latest Beer & Brewer mag there's an AG recipe for a White Xmas Ale with ingredients as follows:

20 litres kettle volume
75% mash efficiency
Gravity 1.057 sg 14plato
Colour 4 srm
2.5kg pale malt
1.75kg wheat malt
0.25kg Wheat flour/Flaked wheat
0.25kg Orange Blossom Honey (added at end of boil)

Theoretical 16 IBU 90minute boil
Cascade 5.7% AA 15gms 60mins
Cascade 5.7% AA 15gms 5mins
Zest of one large lemon 5mins
Grated ginger 15gms 5mins
Final Gravity 1.008sg 2 Plato
ABV 6.1%

Directions/intentions/advice on yeast in the article (page 78)

I could fumble through it myself getting the proportions of malt extract right, but I don't know how to handle the Wheat Flour/Flaked wheat component...

Advice?

It's pretty light on for detail but I found this page on Beersmith's website just ten minutes ago
http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/06/03/c...o-malt-extract/

Cobber

Advice?

It's been suggested above but any AG recipe can be converted by subsituting the base malts with malt extract and using software/spreadsheets to work out the amounts that will give you the appropriate gravity. Obviously if there is more than one base malt you should aim to keep the proportion/ratio the same.

I've not used flaked wheat so my comments on it should be taken with a grain or two of salt (ha grain ha).

Sources suggest it adds a sharpness and some starch haze. It definitely needs to be mashed. Maybe try emailing/ringing someone like Grain and Grape and asking if there's a substitute. You could still make the beer without it though as all other base grains are substitutable with extract.

I haven't got my hands on the latest copy of B&B yet unfortunately, but this looks like it could be a good xmas beer.

Question about the volume; is that 20 litres the pre or post boil volume?

And is there a recommended mash temperature? I guess 64C would be pretty good for this style of beer.

Cheers,
Kris.

20 litres post boil.
64deg for 60mins, mashout at 78deg.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and helpful links! I've been reading about BIAB and I'm considering having a crack at doing a partial mash of the flaked wheat and the rest extract but we'll see... I might just have to leave it out. Though I have been googling wheat flour and it seems some people have done extract brews where they've just thrown a few teaspoons into the boil to give some haziness, but I don't really want to risk spoiling the whole brew. Hmmmm.

I found this nice little pdf regarding converting All Grain to Extract/Partial Mash.

It basically says to multiply the base malts by 0.75 for LME or by 0.89 for DME.

If you download and read it, it makes it quite simple and you can convert just about any recipe.

Back