Beer Books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awwww maaaan! Just ordered:

• Grape vs Grain
  • Farmhouse Ales
  • Pale Ale
  • Belgian Ale
  • Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium (Hardcover :p )
  • Michael Jackson's Great Beer Guide

Haven't told the wife about it yet.... Think I'll wait until the credit card bill arrives. Better to ask forgiveness... B)
FYI - two of my books arrived Tuesday - I ordered them last Thursday!!!!!! :eek: 3 BUSINESS DAYS FROM THE UK!!!!!

The two that arrived were the two Michael Jackson books - in separate packages.... Still waiting on the other 4, talk about slack ;)

Hey I noticed a few people have bought the "Classic Beer Series" books and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on them. Inparticular I'm planning on placing an order on the Mild Ale and Pale Ale books.

Thanks for any advice, Dave :)

Yeah tried that. Got that 3-headed look again <_< and they seemed a little funny on the whole 'order from overseas thing'. Would not have been a prob with B&B tho. Ahh well, I've got more than enough reading material atm, so it can wait till later.

That's so lame. You've got just as much right to access material about your hobby as the tole painters, local historians and woodworking enthusiasts do. I'm a public librarian and we order OS stuff all of the time, and doubly quick if someone asks for it. I love it when we get requests for titles from the customers, takes all of the guess work out of collection development and you know at least one person is going to read it. ;)

At the very least they could offer to Inter library loan it for you. Don' t take no for an answer

cheers

grant

Hey I noticed a few people have bought the "Classic Beer Series" books and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on them. Inparticular I'm planning on placing an order on the Mild Ale and Pale Ale books.

Thanks for any advice, Dave :)

I have two of the books from this series, pilsner and helles and there very good. Check on amazon and read the reviews before you buy.

I have both the Pale Ale & Mild books, they are a good read with recipes to work through and give a good starting point. If you have others in the series then it's more of the same but different styles.
I personally think the mild book spends a little too much time on waffle about history & olden times techniques, but in all good books to have on hand.

Lagers

just some info.

Purchased:
How to Brew, 3rd Edition
Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew

from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Ordered on a Thursday afternoon. 1st book arrived on the Wednesday, the next on the Thursday.

I can recommend the site.

Youngy

just some info.

Purchased:
How to Brew, 3rd Edition

Ordered on a Thursday afternoon. 1st book arrived on the Wednesday, the next on the Thursday.

Youngy

+1, free & fast delivery, very cheap, I ordered HTB 3rd, Classic styles Porter, clone brews. Heaps cheaper than amazon if you plan on getting a few books at once, with free delivery I couldn't help myself :icon_cheers:

Would Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes be the best book to get for recipes?

Don't know about the best book for recipes, but I reckon it's a good book. It's got descriptions of all the styles and a recipe or two of each. They're all extract with grains recipes, with an all-grain option listed as well. I haven't made any of the recipes, but it's a good book to have a flick through and get ideas from.

Got this book and really like it.

Its a really good 'one stop shop' for each style. Rather than having to search multiple sources for a recipe they are all in once neat little book. Brew the recipes a couple of times and tweak the results to your liking. At least they give a consistent starting point for someone who may not have brewed a certain style before.

gary.

Thanks guys. I ordered the book from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ . I forgot to put in NSW in the adress. I sent them an email to tell them, and they emailed me straight back saying it had been amended. Most helpful.

just some info.

Purchased:
How to Brew, 3rd Edition

Youngy

Good tip youngy. I ordered How To Brew from Book Depository on the 16th - arrived today. Cost $24 Australian and free shipping. Very hard to beat that.
Cheers

Good tip youngy. I ordered How To Brew from Book Depository on the 16th - arrived today. Cost $24 Australian and free shipping. Very hard to beat that.
Cheers

Yes the free shipping is very attractive.

thanks for the tip.

cheers

Grant

Also try betterworldbooks.Use promo code ptk0809 for 10% off.

How to Brew = AU$20.40 on today's exhange rate.
Designing Great Beers = AU$23.90

It does cost US$3.97 per book, but that's still cheaper that book depot.

If you want to compare the price of books go to

booko.com.au or google for booko

The Complete Guide to Beer & Brewing (Laurie Strachan) is also good and is written from an Australian perspective.

Laurie has another book called " Great beers of the world and how to brew them at home" I think it is from memory.

Back