Beer Books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woo Hoo!! Just arrived in the mail. Gotta lot of reading to do B)

I got into AG via Dave Miller's "Homebrewing Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Make Great-Tasting Beer" which has has some excellent material if you are into the why not just how.

I picked up Palmer's How To Brew recently at Borders in Canberra, and it was only $16.95 for the latest edition.

Sam

Beer Captured is a good source of info. I regulary flick through it to pick up ideas.

BYB

Yeah . I've found clone brews very helpful too. Actually more than helpful because it taught me about IBUs, malts and and colour in reference to commercial beers that you can pick up from the bottle shop and compare.

It also showed me how to make an extract brew without too much fuss. Moved on since then so now I'd recommend brewing classic styles as a better extract recipe book. I suppose it depends if you want to clone commercial types or brew to style.

You could always buy both! But get beer captured rather than clone brews because the authors say they did a better job on that book!

I have brew like a monk but its not as dog eared as the recipe books. :)

I've also borrowed radical brewing and designing great beers. Designing great beers is a bit painful with all its statistics on what malt was used in competitions for which style, while radical brewing is a really great read with some interesting philosophy on ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got into AG via Dave Miller's "Homebrewing Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Make Great-Tasting Beer" which has has some excellent material if you are into the why not just how.

Have this one too (yup, my bookshelf is looking a little overloaded with Brewbooks!). Is quite good. From memory has a few recipes as well, but has been a while since I've opened it.

Slightly off-topic but if you're a little on the stingy side like myself and don't want to subscribe to a US brewmag, you should get a copy of iTunes on your computer and subscribe to the free Brewing Podcasts. Have been getting into Basic Brewing Radio of late and has been quite good to hear about how the yanks are experimenting with styles like the APAs and Belgians. Good way of staying up to date with what's happening out there without the outlay.

Hopper.

Woo Hoo!! Just arrived in the mail. Gotta lot of reading to do B)

How long ago did you order? ive been waiting since it was shipped on the 6th for mine. ETA on the website says sep12!

My mate ordered some CISCO networking manuals and got them in 2 weeks. I hope mines soon!

How long ago did you order? ive been waiting since it was shipped on the 6th for mine. ETA on the website says sep12!

My mate ordered some CISCO networking manuals and got them in 2 weeks. I hope mines soon!

Shipped on the 8th

I was expecting them on the 15th of Sept so it was a bit of a surprise to get them today B)

Free international shipping?! Giddy up!

There goes 50 squid. I just bought-
* Designing Great Beers
* Clone Brews
* The Homebrewers Garden
* Farmhouse Ales
* Belgian Ale (from Classic Beer Style series)
* German Wheat Beer (from Classic Beer Style series)
* Eyewitness Companion: Beer

Its not like I was saving money by buying bulk. I guess I just got trigger happy when I saw the books at half the price that I would pay here. :beerbang:

Edit: PS. I hope the A$ is still strong.

I got "Home Brew" by Willie Simpson from the local HBS. Very simple, easy to follow, and approachably Australian in style. He also writes for the Age online sometimes.

Want to subscribe to BYO but would like to get my hands on a copy first just to check it out (anyone know somewhere in sunshine coast / widebay region that has them, local hbs hasn't got them). Also have to convince the Minister for War and Finance :unsure:

Cheers

Chris

Join your local library mate. They often order books & mags for their shelves that library members ask for. They may even have a few good brew books on hand?

TP :beer:

The CAMRA guide to home brewing by grame wheeler is the best book i have read for the beginner/intermediate. It is a good clear no nonsense guide to brewing that does not inundate you with useless information (which i feel palmer does) but does not treat you like an idiot. I also like it's ethos to brewing, keep it simple,

Stuster you are right! I am a Lager lout, thats me ,learnt a lot from "Brewing New Lager"
GB

Fair enough. That's what you like so isn't it great that you can brew it. :icon_cheers:

I've actually been brewing and enjoying a few lagers recently. Pretty happy with the Dortmunder I made (and I'll see how it goes in comps) and will make some more next winter.

* Designing Great Beers
* Clone Brews
* The Homebrewers Garden
* Farmhouse Ales

Its not like I was saving money by buying bulk. I guess I just got trigger happy when I saw the books at half the price that I would pay here. :beerbang:

You bastards!

So many good books and the $$ are cheap even with the shrinking AUD.

Tempted by

Clone Brews
Principles of Brewing Science
Porter (from Classic Beer Style series)
Designing Great Beers
Stout (from Classic Beer Style series)
Altbier (from Classic Beer Style series)

44 quid delivered is ridicolous!

Thankyou Mr Swan!

Join your local library mate. They often order books & mags for their shelves that library members ask for. They may even have a few good brew books on hand?

Yeah tried that. Got that 3-headed look again <_< and they seemed a little funny on the whole 'order from overseas thing'. Would not have been a prob with B&B tho. Ahh well, I've got more than enough reading material atm, so it can wait till later.

* Designing Great Beers
* Clone Brews
* The Homebrewers Garden
* Farmhouse Ales

Awwww maaaan! Just ordered:

• Grape vs Grain
  • Farmhouse Ales
  • Pale Ale
  • Belgian Ale
  • Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium (Hardcover :p )
  • Michael Jackson's Great Beer Guide

Haven't told the wife about it yet.... Think I'll wait until the credit card bill arrives. Better to ask forgiveness... B)

after reading this thread, I had a little impulse buy of 6 books on Amazon too...

this forum is dangerous sometimes

Latest posts

Back