Beer Books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
Id like to get myself a few brewing books to learn from.
Brew like a Monk is one, and John Palmers How to brew.
What other suggestions?

'Designing Great Beers' - Ray Daniels
' Radical Brewing' - Randy Mosher
'Wild Brews' - ? (Don't actually own a copy of this yet)

And subscribe to Zymmurgy (through the American Homebrewers Association) and BYO (Brew Your Own)

'Home brewing for dumbies' is an OK first book.

Agree that "Homebrewing for dummies" is an excellent book (a little skewed in material and measurements towards the yanks but that's ok).

Others on the shelf in regular use:

- "Home Brewing - A practical guide to all forms of brewing" by Michael Rodgers-Wilson. Small book, easy to understand, written by an aussie and covers everything from kit, to extract, to full mash. It's pretty cheap too and if you can't find at your HBS you can find them in plenty of secondhand bookstores. Surprisingly handy for its size.

- "The Home Brewer's answer book" by Ashton Lewis. Very comprehensive troubleshooting book, got one a couple of months ago from Borders Bookstore. Great for when you're thinking a brew is going off the rails and need some fast info to sort it out. The guy is a columist for Brew Your Own Magazine in the US and writes a troubleshooting Q&A column so knows his stuff.

- "Brew Ware - How to Find, Adapt & Build Homebrewing Equipment" by Karl F.Lutzen & Mark Stevens. Has plans and ideas for all the gear you could ever want and then some. Have used this extensively to help set up my AG stuff, but has plenty of nifty things that would inspire the brewing gearfreaks out there who like to build their own. Was a harder book to get a hold of and had to get it on order from my local bookstore. Publisher is Storey Publishing. Amazon probably have it.

Just got a copy of John Palmer's "How to brew" myself and it is great too.

Hopper.

Beer Captured is a good source of info. I regulary flick through it to pick up ideas.

BYB

Last edited by a moderator:
The Complete Guide to Beer & Brewing (Laurie Strachan) is also good and is written from an Australian perspective.

The Complete Guide to Beer & Brewing (Laurie Strachan) is also good and is written from an Australian perspective.

Even though it is (apparently) a little dated I want to get a copy of Charlie Papazian's book.
I can't recommend How to Brew 3rd edition enough - for all level brewers.
Also just got Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers - another great book, goes into a lot of detail. Maybe more than I'm after right now but damn interesting!

I have been reading a couple of Michael Jackson's books lately to expand my knowledge of styles and flavours -- The great beer guide; 500 classic brews, and The eyewitness guide to beer.

cheers

Grant

"Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. It has 80 recipes that have won awards in the last couple of years.

"The Homebrewer's Companion" by Papazian

Subscribe to BYO Magazine (USA - 8 issues/year) and join American Homebrewer's Association (includes a subscription to Zymurgy - 6 issues/year).
Subscribe to Beer and Brewer Magazine (Austrialia - 4 issues/year).

Recently ordered and awaiting delivery on the following:

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition
The Homebrewer's Companion
How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time
Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles
The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs
Clone Brews: Homebrew Recipes for 150 Commercial Beers

Meant to add BLAM to the order but forgot :eek: .Next time!
Can't comment on how good each one is obviously but I bought them and not others based what I'd heard from other brewers, forums as well as Basic Brewing where all of the authors have been interviewed at some stage.

Also a subscriber to Beer and Brewer B) . Want to subscribe to BYO but would like to get my hands on a copy first just to check it out (anyone know somewhere in sunshine coast / widebay region that has them, local hbs hasn't got them). Also have to convince the Minister for War and Finance :unsure:

Cheers

Chris

Hey,

+ 1 for 'Brewing Classic Styles' and John Palmers 'How to Brew'.

With those two books you can't go wrong!

The latest edition of Noonans Brewing New lager also covers Ale HERE What was he thinking
GB

This is a great book and one all AG brewer should have.

Steve

This is a great book and one all AG brewer should have.

Steve

+1!! Pre-Noonan, Designing Great Beers by Daniels has been my bible for understanding fundamentals of recipe formulation and constructing my own recipes without brewing software, which I continue to do. Noonan is starting to be refered to a lot more for me now though, for its more in-depth technical descriptions. Both great books!

"Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. It has 80 recipes that have won awards in the last couple of years.

Yep got that one as well. Another good source that I "regulary flick through"

BYB

DrGonzo has lent me the following books

Noonans (great info on the entire process with lots of chemistry for nerds like me)
Kolsch (helped me design my first kolsch)
Weizens
Pale Ale
And a marzen/oktoberfest book IIRC

Have been reading and re-reading the first 2. learn something new each time.

As for BYO magazine, not all that impressed TBH, some interesting advice but you have to sift thru a whole lot of waffle. The Q&A section at the beginning is the prefect example of how to answer a question using 10 times the amount of words required.....Had to raise the eyebrows when they suggested adding 0.8kg of carapils to a 19L batch of czech pils..... WTF?

Much rather read the books.

recently processed a purcahse for:

Brewing classic styles - Jamil & john
Designing great beers - Ray Daniels

$51.17 to the door via Amazon.com for an extra $20 could have got Radical brewing, was taken back slightly as it is pased on extract. for the applciation though its still portable to AG. should have got it.

Amazon is a good resource for brewing books, even with the excessive shipping cost is still worth the $.

- "Brew Ware - How to Find, Adapt & Build Homebrewing Equipment" by Karl F.Lutzen & Mark Stevens. Has plans and ideas for all the gear you could ever want and then some. Have used this extensively to help set up my AG stuff, but has plenty of nifty things that would inspire the brewing gearfreaks out there who like to build their own. Was a harder book to get a hold of and had to get it on order from my local bookstore. Publisher is Storey Publishing. Amazon probably have it.

Hopper.

Available secondhand through various booksellers associated with abebooks.com at

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResu...p;x=37&y=13

Amazon is a good resource for brewing books, even with the excessive shipping cost is still worth the $.

Agree on that. Tried to find my books locally with no luck. When I asked about ordering at some of the bookshops they looked at me as tho I had 3 heads (no probs with wine books!!! <_< ).
In the end I went with Amazon because 1) they had the books I wanted and 2) they were by far the cheapest price I could find even with international postage.

Back