Beer, Blood Pressure And The Ticker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Guy

Reaction score
Hey ho community after an interesting couple of days in a CCU being pricked prodded and wired for sound I have a number of lifestyle changes to make however I am torn between my love of beer and the love of life and as I am struggling to seperate the two is there anyone else out there in the beery universe who can provide some hints? suggestions or there own experiences

Is beer consumption related to high blood pressure :eek:

cheers

Browndog

Being a 40 something these threads give me the heebie jeebies. It's like we're on borrowed time before we're told to curtail our activities. :eek:

Browndog. Not so sure there. I'm quite the consumer and my BP is pretty good!

Warren -

It's not all bad I am ok for a couple of beers a week (if you can call the suggestions from the quack beers) as for the that link I believe my hop craving will be sated cheers Rob you rock.

Two standard drinks a day will increase blood pressure and the follow on effects.

Is beer consumption related to high blood pressure :eek:

cheers

Browndog

No not directly. High blood pressure can come from being overweight. Drinking to much beer can make you overweight.

I recently found out that I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Docter put me on some medication and I started a new exercise program. For the first couple of weeks I didnt drink beer from Monday to Thursday but had a glass of red wine a night. I also go to the gym 3 times a week.

After 4 weeks my blood pressure and cholesterol were way down and I was put on half medication to see how I go for the next few months.

This was a reality check for me as I am only 30 and while carying a few extra kilos was not that overweight. I even ate reasonable well and only averaged 2 beers a night unless I went out.

A family history of heart conditions means that I am going to make sure I stay fit and healthy for as long as I can.

I am still drinking beer though. Just made other allowances by doing extra exercise and having a healthy diet.

Kabooby :)

I guess you could look at low alcohol beers for your beer fix. ie, Berlinerweisse, English milds etc which can still be quite interesting.

"Rogers Beer" (from Little Creatures) is a great mid strength beer (3.8%). Perhaps you could work on a clone?

also beer guy there is a few guys around here that seem to have nailed "high flavoured low alcohol" ales if you go down that track you may become quite the aficionado on the subject and be able to pass on your findings...

Am having some issues myself & to top it off am extremely limited by the amount & intensity of exercise I can do. My doc keeps harping about moderation & everything seems to get back to weight. Beer is a contributing factor & must be assessed with all the other contributing factors eg Food.

Sorry to hear about your stay in CCU.

On one of the comments regarding low alcohol beer with flavour, I've managed to nail this.
Took a few attempts to get it on the money.
Will post it in the recipeDB. It is my Yardglass Session Lite. 3.5% 35 IBU.
Even my megaswill mates love it, and everytime I take it to a party if I don't tell anyone it is low alc they never know. It is all about the flavour.

Oh, and I have an updated version of the BrewTools that isn't live here yet, that calculates Carbs and Calories in beer.
Here is the output for my Yardglass Session Lite.

A 355ml (12oz) glass of your beer contains 13.3 carbs and 93.7 calories.
Your 500ml glass of beer contains 18.7 carbs and 132 calories.

Doc

Sorry to read about your health issues.

Make sure you chat to your doctor realistically about your beer consumption.

We all love our beer and we all have to make choices about what we consume and the life we want to live.

Like Doc said, it is all about flavour.

Even the low alcohol beers have a bunch of carbs in them don't they and I thought it was the carbs content more than the alcohol percentage that affected you, weight wise.
I thought English mild and Scottish Ales might even be worse in this regard due to the high finishing gravity ?

I'm in the same boat As Kabooby, except I'm finding that exercise thing a real PITA to fit into the schedule at the moment. It's a tough balance to strike.
Good luck.

My issue is a little more complicated than just dropping the 20 or so kgs allthough that will help reduce the pill strength and reduce strain on everything else etc... Thanks to the support of the brewing fraternity I have decided to look at making some low alc lambics and the like and realise that low(er) alc dosn't mean I will be forced into the cage of beer mediocrity. thanks randy and Doc for showing the path to the beery sunshine of enlightenment.

I say bugger it!

I'm on the heavy blood pressue meds and colesterol meds every day.

My blood pressue is now fine and sticky junk in the veins is gone.

I can now drink about 2litres a night.

(My $350 / 15 minutes heart doctor died of a heat attack so who the hell knows!!)

BOG

[/quote]
I say bugger it!

I'm on the heavy blood pressue meds and colesterol meds every day.

My blood pressue is now fine and sticky junk in the veins is gone.

I can now drink about 2litres a night.
(My $350 / 15 minutes heart doctor died of a heat attack so who the hell knows!!)

BOG thanks for the perspective and the laugh. I guess you are right they come on all heavy with the lecture's give you a bullshit bill drug the shit out of you then set you loose, untill it's time for another lecture and BMW repayment, meanwhile your shitting yourself and spending to much time on the internet.

Lots of factors influence high blood pressure: Many moons ago when my job meant travelling from place to place, with a laptop as company in planes and motel rooms and when home my work environment had no windows to the outside world my BP was brought down from 195/120 with three drugs taken daily. Now semi retired, drinking 4 - 6 beers Wed to Sun evenings (Sun and Mon AFD's) I'm still on minor BP medication, however my BP taken in Feb was 120/70 not bad for a 57yo eh.

Much more to it than how much beer one consumes :p

Screwy

Hey screwey they dont build us young fellas the same anymore mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Without knowing a lot more detials, its not worth commenting more than to say, I am sure that reducing or improving a myriad of other factors will enable you to continue drinking to near the current guidelines.
I assume your quack gave you the "Dash" Diet, if not let me know, and ill email it to you.

Back