Bbq Burners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65bellett

Reaction score
The other day I was driving around Diamond Creek and it is their time for hard rubbish removal. While driving around and keeping my eyes open for any thing that could be used for brewing I noticed alot of old BBQ's. Has any body succesfullly used an old BBQ and its burners to fire up a brew kettle?

I have found an old BBQ trolley which I was going to convert to carry a burner but if it is possible I will get back on the road I might go and look for the BBQ.

I don't know how effective a BBQ burner would be. I'm assuming you're referring to the long burners rather than circular ones. I don't know how effective they would be in heating the wort i.e. if the amount of gas used to heat and keep the wort at boil would be same as the amount of gas used by a circular burner.

Also remember that most of the time things are thrown out because they are useless, so there is a possibility that the burners won't be in very good condition.

Although i havent tried it before for brewing I have had a play around with some old bbq bits and pieces to get mine to have more heat.

Have a look at the size of the jets. On my bbq they were 1.15mm. I drilled them out to 1.5mm

Have a look at the holes in the burners. Mine were 2.5mm. I drilled them to 3mm.

Youll also have to adjust the bolt on the burner that varied the air flow into it.

It now gets the hotplate really hot real quick and has enough heat to be able to fill the whole bbq plate without it dropping all of the heat out of it.

Since I'm new to AG brewing, I grabbed the wok burner that came with the outdoor bbq as the first choice of burner. Trying to get 45ltrs of water to the boil using the standard bbq regulator was impossible. 90mins on a warm day got it to 98deg and nothing more.

Have recently ordered an Italian spiral burner and adjustable reg from Beerbelly.com.au. Hopefully will do the trick.

Dan

Back