Bavarian Weizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In that case... partial mash is out.

Grab 2 cans of ESB unhopped wheat malt extract, some Hallertauer and the yeast of your choice. The K-97, as discussed above is a German Ale yeast rather than a weizen yeast... you could use it tho, or some SafAle or better yet one of the true weizen liquid yeasts ($15).

Depending on the size of your boil pot, you could boil all or just one can of the extract along with lots of water. Heat some water, dump in a can of extract (off heat) then stir while bringing back to the boil. Add the hops when it comes to the boil and start timing. At 60 mins, take the pot off the stove and add the second can, stirring gently. Chill the pot in a sink full of ice packs or ice or whatever you chill with. Leave it to cool for 30 mins at least. Pour into fermenter and top up to 19-23 litres with water then pitch yeast.

A no-boil option is the ESB 3Kg Wheat kit. Probably work out quite similar to the above (although I've never tried it myself).

I'd be happy to discuss the whole thing via PM if you like.

Latest posts

Back