Basic Calculations For Partial-Mash Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigantorus

Reaction score
Hi All,

And before you start saying "every partial-mash recipe is different mate" slap yourself.

I'm asking if there is a "general" calculation/percentage amounts used in 'most" partial-mash recipes? This would be for the common styles like pale ales, IPAs, amber ales etc.

For example something like (and this is just a guestimate)...for a basic pale ale....use the liquid from 1.5kg to 2.5kg of cracked malts in a mash/steep and 1.5kg to 2kg of LDME, and then add a hop schedule of your choice.

I'm just starting to play with partial mashes and wanting to get a base-point to start from (if there is one?) when developing recipes. I'd like to do some pale ales, some IPAs and an American brown ale.

Thanks,

Pete

Brew day Partial mash notes
When you consider some of the variables, potential grain extraction, efficiency %, grain absorption, evaporation losses, dead space, trub losses, mash pH, water chemistry, and so on.
Working to a basic set of numbers is the best you can hope for
Theoretical verses Practical.

brew day.PNG

kjg,

I totally agree. Was just asking if there "was" some basic calculations for some styles.

This is what I'm going with on the weekend with an ANZAC Pale Ale:

[SIZE=12pt]* 2.0kg of Light Dried Malt Extract[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 1.0kg Pearl Malt (Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 1.0kg Pilsner Pale Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 250grams CaraPils Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 100grams Shepherds Delight Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 90grams Galaxy hops[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 90grams Brooklyn (NZ) hops[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* American Ale Yeast (Safale US-05 etc.)[/SIZE]

Some of the brewing software I have played with
[SIZE=11pt]The spread sheet IAN “2016 Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.2” doesn’t do mashing grain.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]BrewMate doesn’t do tin of goo.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]As for others software I haven’t used them yet.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Beersmith[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Brewersfriend[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Biabacus 'biab forums'[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Brewtoad has a mobile app but that's more of a recipe database than a brewing software.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Beer Tools Pro[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Lots of info in [/SIZE] Tools of the TradeElectronics, Hardware & Software

What's the maximum amount of grain you can mash?

Add that into software, set mash efficiency between 60-70% and then add extract to hit desired og and volume.

Brew, check the real numbers against the hypothetical, alter efficiency up or down and repeat. Get consistent numbers, then tweak process if you feel you have something to gain.

For my AG system, 1 kg base malt usually comes out at around 10 gravity points in a 20ish L batch, mash effiency at 70%.

[SIZE=12pt]The recipe ended up being this. I added a small amount of rye as well. Mashed/steeped malts for 60 mins @ 70C, then 45 min boil. Hops = flameout 30grams of each, and dry-hop of 60grams of each. Will bottle this Saturday. Looking forward to tasting it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]* 2.0kg of Light Dried Malt Extract[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 1.0kg Pearl Malt (Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 1.0kg Pilsner Pale Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 250grams CaraPils Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 100grams Shepherds Delight Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 50grams Rye Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 90grams Galaxy hops[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 90grams Brooklyn (NZ) hops[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]* 1 x Mangrove Jacks American Westcoast yeast[/SIZE]

Nice color, kinda like a honey brown. I've been using Beersmith 2.2 (?) for some time now. My partial mashes have gotten to be more like mostly mashes, with some 8.3lbs of grains in about 2 gallons of spring water in my 5 gallon stainless kettle. BIAB has turned out great so far, with only some 2 pounds or so of extract added @ flame out. I have a set of four nested stock pots we bought years ago, with a 3 or 4 gallon typically used for a " dunk" or batch sparge @ 168F for 10 minutes. A nylon grain bag will stretch over the lip of the kettle, allowing me to stir it for more efficiency.
Generally, I use some 2-3 pounds of base malt to make sure I have enough diastatic power to convert the lot during the mash. Usually one hour. I wrap the MT/BK ( Mash Tun/Brew Kettle) in an old fleece-lined jacket/shirt, then in a quilted hunting coat to hold the heat in. I've also come to notice that using a kettle that will be mostly full with mash grist & water holds heat better. I also have a floating thermometer for the mash tun, & one for heating the sparge water.
Since I've been asked to try Brewer's friend software, I thought I'd compare recipe results with Beersmith 2 & BF's new version recipe builder...

Thanks for your comments, uniondr. Most useful.

I've just started using Brewers friends software and will do some new partial recipes.

Cheers,

Pete

This is my next partial-mash recipe, which I'll do this weekend. I've been using the Brewers Friend software as well.

Irish Red Setter Ale (23 Litres)

Figures:
* IBU: 26.2
* ABV: 5.0%
* Colour: EBC 26.5
* Body: Medium
Ingredients:
* 1.5kg of Light Dried Malt Extract (LDME)
* 1.0kg Pilsner Malt
* 2.5kgs Red X Malt
* 250grams Shepherds Delight Malt
* 90grams Perle hops (45g @ 60 min & 45g @ 10 mins)
* English Ale Yeast (S-04)

Will mash/steep the grains for 60 mins and do a light sparge, then boil for 60 mins with 2 hop additions, and then add some LDME when I strain into FV.

Cheers,
Pete

Gigantorus said:
This is my next partial-mash recipe, which I'll do this weekend. I've been using the Brewers Friend software as well.

Irish Red Setter Ale (23 Litres)

Figures:
* IBU: 26.2
* ABV: 5.0%
* Colour: EBC 26.5
* Body: Medium
Ingredients:
* 1.5kg of Light Dried Malt Extract (LDME)
* 1.0kg Pilsner Malt
* 2.5kgs Red X Malt
* 250grams Shepherds Delight Malt
* 90grams Perle hops (45g @ 60 min & 45g @ 10 mins)
* English Ale Yeast (S-04)

Will mash/steep the grains for 60 mins and do a light sparge, then boil for 60 mins with 2 hop additions, and then add some LDME when I strain into FV.

Cheers,
Pete

The fermenter has been bubbling away for most of the week (went quiet Thursday morning). Stuck the torch on top of the FV in the fridge and she looks nice & red. We bring the temp up slightly on Sunday for d-rest. Will then drop temp down to 1C on Tuesday night (cold crash for 3+ days), and then bottle the following Saturday. Will start drinking it 2 weeks after bottling.

Well bottled the red ale on Saturday and had a wee taste. Tasted very clean with a nice little bitter bite.

It certainly came out really clean & clear (see pic) - first time I've add a whirlfloc and also did a cold crash together (I usually just do a cold crash only). Now just need to leave it for a few weeks to condition.

Cheers,

Pete

View attachment Irish-red-ale-2016.pdf

You've got me thinking now Pete.
I've bought some base grains and soon will do another partial mash. Will certainly use your well researched hard work to start with :)
Now I was thinking, partial mash and 'no chill' the partial wort in one of these 5L containers... What do you think?

1469786156394.jpg

Sorry if I am jumping in here a bit Peek but not all plastics are made to food grade standards and are also not necessarily designed to withstand being filled with boiling hot water. Aside from those concerns I would be highly suspicious of re-using any container that once housed a detergent product.

Personally, if I need to cool 5 litres worth of a boil I put the stockpot in a sink filled with iced water. I stir for about twenty minutes and it is ready to replace the boiling water that would normally go with the brew can.

Regards,
Doug

Hey Nick, Tend to agree with LF. Not all plastics are equal.

I have 4 x 2litre ice cream containers of water in freezer a week before I do a 23Litre brew. I used these to surround the boil pot in the laundry tub with extra cold tap water to quickly chill down the wort. Goes from 100C to 20C in 30 mins. Usually only chilling down 10 to 12litres of wort. These large ice blocks are way better than a bag of party ice.
Cheers, Pete

Latest posts

Back