Barley Wine - Yeast/Sugar @ Bottling Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitegoose

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brewing my first American Barley Wine on Saturday. Aiming for 1.100 SG, 1.025 FG, 103 IBU. Hopefully I hit my targets after reducing my expected efficiency. My yeast starter is chugging away and ready to go.

Anyway, I have some questions about when it comes time to bottling the Barley Wine.

1) Should I be adding yeast at bottling time? I've read a bit about this to ensure there is enough healthy yeast (not drunk as hell and burnt out) to eat the priming sugar. I'm not convinced it would be necessary. What do you think? Any experienced Barley Winer makers out there?

2) If I were to add yeast at bottling - how would I do it? I actually have no idea so any info appreciated.

3) Regardless of adding yeast, and assuming I will leave these in the bottle for 6 - 12 months, should I be reducing the amount of priming sugar slightly to account for the last tiny bits of sugar remaining in the orginal wort being eaten over the matuartion period? Or is it negligible enough that I shouldn't worry.

Thanks peeps!

Latest posts

Back