Bar fridge freezer removal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Dawg

Reaction score
Hi

Anybody ever done something like this? Mechanically freezer box should be movable but I guess it is often the main hex element... Any ideas how to make these 120l things into a 2 keg kegerator?

Cheers
V

Can't remove them usually, they're what cools the whole thing
Some people have had success with carefully bending it down and shaping to sit against the back of the fridge
I had a go at it with my bar fridge and got half way, but the mrs made me bend it back...

Bending was my thinking - so it has been done before -- lock garage and be finished by dinner time. :)
Any advice about how to not get it wrong? What about these... cooling bumps... anything in there that needs special care?

work very slowly and if you've got a small pipe bender, it may come in handy
if a pipe starts to kink, straighten it back out and abandon the endeavour (as soon as the tube splits, the fridge is fucked)

Yo V-Dawg,

If the bar fridge is still in good nick it might be better to sell it that way and spend the cash on one made for the task. Some like the westinghouse one i have don't have the freezer compartment at all, then there are the larger ones that seem to be made for kegerators.

Otherwise best of luck and post some picks when alls complete :)

Can be done no problems. Just bend slowly. Mine works perfectly as a fermentation fridge.

Lodan said:
Yo V-Dawg,

If the bar fridge is still in good nick it might be better to sell it that way and spend the cash on one made for the task. Some like the westinghouse one i have don't have the freezer compartment at all, then there are the larger ones that seem to be made for kegerators.

Otherwise best of luck and post some picks when alls complete :)
Lodan

What is the Westinghouse model you are using?

V

I'm using a WRM1300WC as a fermenting fridge; when it's not being used as a bar fridge for the occassional BBQ or party

http://www.westinghouse.com.au/Product?model=WRM1300WC&categoryGuid=03666605-CAFF-4FF3-929D-E30C67405F23

Picked it up at the good guys for $300 a couple of years ago
http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buyonline/Westinghouse_130L_Bar_Fridge_WRM1300WC

I've been tempted to stick a keg in there with a brumby tap... but haven't done the pre-requisite measurement checks

edit: meant picnic tap!

Cheers! I might go that way after learning that unbending and ruining the ice box of a $50 gumtree fridge still sets me back $50. :D

Lodan said:
I'm using a WRM1300WC as a fermenting fridge; when it's not being used as a bar fridge for the occassional BBQ or party

http://www.westinghouse.com.au/Product?model=WRM1300WC&categoryGuid=03666605-CAFF-4FF3-929D-E30C67405F23

Picked it up at the good guys for $300 a couple of years ago
http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buyonline/Westinghouse_130L_Bar_Fridge_WRM1300WC

I've been tempted to stick a keg in there with a brumby tap... but haven't done the pre-requisite measurement checks

edit: meant picnic tap!
You'll be fine for 2 19Lt kegs in that as I am currently using it as in interim keg fridge

I don't think that was the greatest idea
It might be a struggle to get good insulation with that material

sp0rk said:
I don't think that was the greatest idea
It might be a struggle to get good insulation with that material
You mean the expanding foam? How bad do you think itcould be - a fewq KWmore a year or will I not be able to maintain temps during summer?
What are the insulation properties of that compared to the PU(?) foam used originally?
Cheers
V

Sorry, I didn't see that you'd used expanding foam, I thought it was just reflective matting like in the last 2 pics
It may be an extra few KW more, but if you have a good layer of expanding foam in there, it should hold temps fine

It's hard to make out. The matting is just meant as surface protection mainly against uv.
Glad the foam should be ok.

Back