Ballast Point Big Eye Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dammag

Reaction score
I keep buying these cheap ($19) six packs of Big Eye IPA and every sip I take I dream of making someting like it. Not necessarily a clone but something nice and tasty. I just had a sip and this stuff tastes so f*&#in great! Any idea on a hops schedule to produce something like this? I do extract but all I'm after is the hops at the moment.

Thanks.

from their website they mention that hops in the big eye ipa are columbus and centennial for flavour. IBU 75. Hope that gives you a starting point.

Thanks RagingBull.

For such a nice beer, there doesn't appear to be many clones out there. I may have to experiment. How can you go wrong with loads of hops?

I've tried this too and agree it is a nice drop. I was looking for a recipe when I read that its big brother Sculpin is waaay better; so i set out to copy that instead.
Unfortunately its difficult/near impossible to get here so I dont really have anything to compare mine too.

interesting that this thread was started today..

i literally, this afternoon, in a foul mood, decided to go treat myself to a mixed sixpack of beers i haven't tried before from the bottleshop.

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA was one of them. Im a huge fan of Punk IPA, and this Ballast Point is ridiculously close in every way to the Punk.

the punk pours quite cloudily though, whereas the ballast point pours nice and clear.

But yep, huge on the Big American "C" hops...

interesting that this thread was started today..

i literally, this afternoon, in a foul mood, decided to go treat myself to a mixed sixpack of beers i haven't tried before from the bottleshop.

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA was one of them. Im a huge fan of Punk IPA, and this Ballast Point is ridiculously close in every way to the Punk.

the punk pours quite cloudily though, whereas the ballast point pours nice and clear.

But yep, huge on the Big American "C" hops...
:icon_offtopic:
Punk IPA is deffo Centennial and must be a lot of it. I loved that beer until I had the Brewdog hardcore IIPA. Give me a clone for that because I love it!

Only last month i was sitting in the beer garden going through the beer list while watching the blue angels doing an airshow overhead. The thing that got me about Balast point beers was they were pretty dry. I'd be aiming to finish close to 1010 with a big whack of late hops. Centennial and Columbus sounds about right

Tried everything on this list exept the curry stout.

ballast_point.JPG

cheers

Browndog

Where are you guys getting this from? Have Dan Murphys got more in lately?

Im a huge fan of Punk IPA, and this Ballast Point is ridiculously close in every way to the Punk.

Interesting you say this, big eye is one one of my favourite session beers, but i was extremely disappointed with punk, i thought it poor form of brew dog to try and hock it as an ipa. Those beers are worlds apart, imo.

Has anyone ever seen a reasonable amount of stock at dans? like, more than a case? or even a case for that matter? It seems my local will, at most, only ever carry three six packs. I buy all of them every time, but they never seem to have a whole case!

Interesting you say this, big eye is one one of my favourite session beers, but i was extremely disappointed with punk, i thought it poor form of brew dog to try and hock it as an ipa. Those beers are worlds apart, imo.
+1, my disappointment didn't come from it not being IPA-ish (I think it probably is - it is closer than Hop Hog anyway (even though I do like it)), I just reckon it is a really rough beer. Nothing rough about Big Eye. Worlds apart, IMO.

Has anyone ever seen a reasonable amount of stock at dans? like, more than a case? or even a case for that matter? It seems my local will, at most, only ever carry three six packs. I buy all of them every time, but they never seem to have a whole case!
My local doesn't have an endless supply but they've certainly usually got more than that when they have it in. Doesn't help you much thouogh, I suppose.

Same at our local Dans. If you go onto Dan's website and put in your postcode it comes up with your local shop and you can actually check the stock levels.

Back