Baking Dme For Brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophead

Reaction score
The webpage of the supplier of DME I have used in the past and can get most cheaply shows that it is intended primarily for baking (HBS did not point this out! :ph34r: )

It is described as having Diastase to enable conversion and I have used it before, but will it be inferior to dried malt extract intended specifically for brewing?

"Depends" is probably the answer, but any thoughts or experience?

Cheers
Hophead

Hmmmm... could this be the same "no name" DME from an HBS that I have had inferior results with in the past?

Specifically, I never managed to get more than about 65% apparent attenuation with it, even when using a high attenuation yeast like Nottingham. Cloying, nasty beers!

One of our club members does brew palatable beer with the stuff, by cutting it with a good 25% dextrose, sometimes even more.

Malt exract made for brewing will generally be all barley malt extract, unless of course it is wheat malt extract, but it'd be labelled as such. Baking extract can be of any grain source, as it is not intended to be fermented to produce beer flavours. Extract made for brewing is also mashed in the correct temperature range before being dried/concentrated. I would never risk a batch on baking extract for these reasons.

PostModern said:
Malt exract made for brewing will generally be all barley malt extract, unless of course it is wheat malt extract, but it'd be labelled as such. Baking extract can be of any grain source, as it is not intended to be fermented to produce beer flavours. Extract made for brewing is also mashed in the correct temperature range before being dried/concentrated. I would never risk a batch on baking extract for these reasons.
[post="128851"][/post]​
From what I have been able to find out high diastase malts can be problematic. I think it is because the enzyme is still active and will continue to turn the starches into sugars, resulting in a overly dry beer.

I took me quite a while to find a good source of good DME without diastase

Boiling should denature the diastase. I use the Bintani stuff (without diastase) stocked by LHBS.

Latest posts

Back