Baking Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shit, its not rocket science guys. Rinse out the bottles the night you drink them or the next morning with hot water from the tap, a triple rinse. All the shite is rinsed out right.
When you want to use them put 6-8 at a time in the sink and pour some boiling water from your kettle in each and turn them up and shake the water out.
If you can just handle the bottles now, (hot as hell), how can any grub live in there.
No chemicals , no oven, (although I have done the oven thing for tomato sauce bottles, but they sit in the cupboard for a year).
I remember one bad bottle , and that was many years ago and not in this incarnation of brewing.

my 2c
:ph34r:
That sounds difficult, after you shake it what happens? why only 6-8? i reckon your grub can live after that girly treatment :eek:
The ole "what works for him wont work for her".,,, ovens work everytime, always a stash of yeast, wort, beer holders at your disposal, the bonus being you cleaned them a month ago. I keg and very little bottle but the yeast holder and wort holder is great.Brushes and boiling works too, but I have to do it on the day.Then again Rook posted recently, he rinses and thats it!! Never an infected brew, and he makes a good one.
So who is right :lol: :lol:

Shit, its not rocket science guys. Rinse out the bottles the night you drink them or the next morning with hot water from the tap, a triple rinse. All the shite is rinsed out right.
When you want to use them put 6-8 at a time in the sink and pour some boiling water from your kettle in each and turn them up and shake the water out.
If you can just handle the bottles now, (hot as hell), how can any grub live in there.
No chemicals , no oven, (although I have done the oven thing for tomato sauce bottles, but they sit in the cupboard for a year).
I remember one bad bottle , and that was many years ago and not in this incarnation of brewing.

my 2c
:ph34r:

You're not that far off the mark Mantis.
In all my 15 years of bottling all that was needed (After rinsing straight away with hot water & storing away when dry with the old cap on) was a mass clean out of 30+ bottles with a bottling brush in hot water\dishwasher detergent & then a good rinse in clean water.Things got complicated when I found this forum hence the "Rinsing with hot water" --- which turned out to be a waste of time & the above (In bold) + dishwasher treatment that seems to have been a waste of time as well?

MY conclusions after nearly 18 years ---- A good scrub with a bottlewasher in hot water\dishwasher detergent followed by a good rinse is all that is needed to get your bottles ready for bottling.
Too much information cannot necessarily be a good thing?

TP

Well, it works for me. No detergent or chemicals and the only hassle is handling the very hot bottles.

Well, it works for me. No detergent or chemicals and the only hassle is handling the very hot bottles.

Mantis,
If you look at my above post you will see that I do use detergent (Dishwasher detergent) & that is about all.
The only big bottle cleaning these days is when I bottle a fruit beer or a special Belgian that need to be put aside for 6 months or so.

TP

Latest posts

Back