Bad smell using Wyeast 3068

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pottsy69

Reaction score
I put down a hefeweizen yesterday, and made a yeast starter with the 3068 about 24 hours prior to pitching.
It's bubbling away spectacularly well at present(it's been 1 day), but it's giving off very strong sulphur/cordite aromas.

Do I have a problem?

Notes:
*I did pitch the yeast @ 20 deg(probably too warm)
*I sanitised everything carefully to make the starter - I did, however leave the starter in the flask overnight with the just the foil on/around the opening.

Thank you in advance...

Sulphur is normal for 3068. 20 is not too warm, ferment it anywhere from 18 to 20c IMHO. It's a cracker of a yeast, just make sure you give it plenty of head space.

Most yeast dont smell right during ferment, its normal.
Dont be tempted to judge your beer at this stage, wait till its done and the yeast has had a chance to clean up by-products.
Nev

QldKev said:
Sulphur is normal for 3068. 20 is not too warm, ferment it anywhere from 18 to 20c IMHO. It's a cracker of a yeast, just make sure you give it plenty of head space.
+1 for the headspace tip.Allow a good 1/3 fermenter space or have a blow off tube ready

I love this yeast and always get the sulphur smell.
Your beer will be fine and smell will be gone post fermentation.

Latest posts

Back