Back to Oz after 25 years

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyJ

Reaction score
Hello all. I just arrived in Melbourne after 25 years out of Australia, most recently 11 years in the UK where I brewed & drank with the London Amateur Brewers crowd. Grew up in Perth and first "brewed" a Coopers kit there. Started extract and then all grain brewing in the USA (Wisconsin - outdoors winter brewing at -15C :) before continuing in the UK.

I like all sorts of beer, but love non-fruit Belgian ales, good pilsners and rich porters. Once (if) my stuff arrives on a ship from the UK I'll start brewing again, but in the mean time wouldn't mind joining local brewers in and around my neighbourhood. And learning more about Aussie brewing here.

Welcome back Tommy. Similar story as you, was in LDN for 11 years and spent time at London Amateur Brewers.

Have you swapped the brew gear plugs yet?

Welcome back Tommy. Spent some time overseas too, but not that long.

The big changes in the game here in Australia are (in no particular order):

1. Greater accessibility of ingredients, especially grain, wet yeasts and hops
2. No Chill
3. Everyone knows what temp control is now
4. Brew in a Bag (which isn't necessarily new, but has been taken up in a big way to have people enter AG) and
5. Stovetop as an entry level for partials and all grain.

Welcome back Tommy. Similar story as you, was in LDN for 11 years and spent time at London Amateur Brewers.

Have you swapped the brew gear plugs yet?
Still waiting for my kit to arrive from the UK. But I brewed over there with gas. Have to decide whether to stick with gas or go electric over here.

When were you at LAB? Maybe we've met over beer there.

Welcome back Tommy, check out Bayside Brewers in the club section, we meet first Wednesday of every month usually somewhere in the SE Melbourne area.

You have good water to brew with there Tommy
Another big game changer has been the single vessel step mash systems around now days and the diy knock offs to match

Back