back brewing after a spell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterlo

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well my first go in a while is nearly ready to be kegged....However when carbing i have a bad habit of making frothy foaming beers instead of nicely carbed ones. If i were to be patient and say left keg at serving pressure at say 5 degrees c would it eventually carb up sufficiently? and over how long roughly?
. not real fussed about styles and how much carbonation they require, just make ales that need to be carbed to a level that they can be enjoyed.

Ta

Sterlo

Firstly, welcome back!
Depending on the serving pressure, I find that within a fortnight most of my beers are ready, often sooner. A cooler temperature may help speed it up but sometimes it is just easier to set and forget, so not continually fiddling around with it.

Yes your beer will eventually carb up. I find I can easily "Ross method" carb up and drink a new keg in about 15 minutes, but the carb is not nice small bubbles.

If you set and forget at 5c at serving pressure you'll have it carb'd in a week.

I like to do an in-between method where I set my regulator to 150kpa and shake it for a minute or so then hook up to serving pressure and forget. This works well if you want to ensure good carb in a few days.

set and forget is my method. I never turn my gas off (no leaks in my system)

10psi pouring pressure, 4 degrees C usually i'll enjoy the first pint after 3 days... best after 7.

Thanks for the replies...

Set and forget it is, i bought a gas line splitter, so i can always have one drinking and one carbing.

Sterlo

Back