Babb March Meeting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for having me along last night. Was good getting feedback on my beer from people with more experience. Looking forward to the next one.

Good meeting, spaced - what's your first name? Don't think I got around to chatting - what table did you end up at? Hope you make it to the April meeting, the format will be a bit different - no minicomp but a taste-and-compare session of some beers done on different water profiles by PocketBeers.

Should be a good one, and more scope for members to bring their pet beers along as well :beerbang:

Who got the money shot?

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Who got the money shot?

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Angus Rich with a 47pt IPA. As Chief Steward it has left me with some thoughts to consider.

2nd place Xavier Sherrif APA 36.5 pts

3rd place Michael Gardiner APA 35 pts

congrats to all the placegetters and I hope the rest of the brewers go some useful feedback.

cheers

Browndog

Angus Rich with a 47pt IPA. As Chief Steward it has left me with some thoughts to consider.

congrats to all the placegetters and I hope the rest of the brewers go some useful feedback.

cheers

Browndog

WOW! That is huge. Oneday I will be able to get to a meeting.

Good meeting, spaced - what's your first name? Don't think I got around to chatting - what table did you end up at? Hope you make it to the April meeting, the format will be a bit different - no minicomp but a taste-and-compare session of some beers done on different water profiles by PocketBeers.

Should be a good one, and more scope for members to bring their pet beers along as well :beerbang:

Seriously hope to get to that one :chug: events conspired against me for March meeting

cheers

Browndog

Hi Tony,

Perhaps the seating arrangements during the judging session should be arranged/influenced by yourself, to ensure an even distribution of experience levels.

Hi Tony,

Perhaps the seating arrangements during the judging session should be arranged/influenced by yourself, to ensure an even distribution of experience levels.

Well the idea is to have guys with judging at state level at each table to guide the table through the judging process and on thursday night we more or less had that situation. The table that had the high scoring IPA had a very good judge at the table and they actually called me out to discuss the situation. I tried the beer and agreed it was very good, but not being in judging mode, was not prepared to offer more than that. What I did tell them was that if it was a very good beer then not to look to trying to pick holes in it and score it as they saw it. But thinking about it later, the way BABBs score beers giving gold medals to 45+ points, I would have asked them if the beer they were currently judging was better than a world class commercial example of the style and that may have given them a bit more perspective on the score they gave the beer.

cheers

Browndog

I was at that table and believe me, we were quite cognisant that we were scoring the beer very high... Higher than any of us had scored a beer before. It was an excellent example of style, that's for sure. In reference to the style guidlines it was just about impossible to mark it down for anything. I'mmor the belief that you should give full marks to begin with, then take marks off for anything outside the description... There was very little in the beer that was missing from the guidelines.

I remember even saying that there is no way we could purchase a beer at a bottle that would be as good and clean as this example. All of us agreed that this was the case.

47 was definitely appropriate.

I was at that table and believe me, we were quite cognisant that we were scoring the beer very high... Higher than any of us had scored a beer before. It was an excellent example of style, that's for sure. In reference to the style guidlines it was just about impossible to mark it down for anything. I'mmor the belief that you should give full marks to begin with, then take marks off for anything outside the description... There was very little in the beer that was missing from the guidelines.

I remember even saying that there is no way we could purchase a beer at a bottle that would be as good and clean as this example. All of us agreed that this was the case.

47 was definitely appropriate.

I'm looking forward to talking to the brewer about this beer, Angus, you better bring a bottle to the next meeting!

I was also lucky enough to be at this table and taste this beer. A really well crafted IPA and it was almost like the BJCP description for American IPA was written about this beer. So fresh and all the character of this beer stood out on their own without becoming muddled or obscure.

World class example for sure, as if I was in the US west coast drinking it at the brewery it came from.

I was very impressed :beerbang:

I was also lucky enough to be at this table and taste this beer. A really well crafted IPA and it was almost like the BJCP description for American IPA was written about this beer. So fresh and all the character of this beer stood out on their own without becoming muddled or obscure.

World class example for sure, as if I was in the US west coast drinking it at the brewery it came from.

I was very impressed :beerbang:
Now I wish I had wandered down to that table Liam .ya lucky whatsit :icon_cheers:

I'm looking forward to talking to the brewer about this beer, Angus, you better bring a bottle to the next meeting!

Browndog,

I will bring one to the next meeting. I'm not a big drinker and don't have mates who are into big hoppy beers so there should be some in the keg - just the hops would have dropped a bit.

I just picked up the score sheet from Sim as I had to get him to place it into the comp for me. The score blew me away :icon_cheers: . I was away this week for work in Perth so had to miss the meeting and didn't get a chance to talk to anyone on Thursday. I have a great respect for Liam's (The Scientist) judging. I have only been to Babbs since August last year and have sat at his table as well as had him judge my Oz Pale in Jan and he seems to know his stuff.

The recipe is the http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-database-178064/Green Flash West Coast IPA (finally worked out how to do the link thing) which was cloned on the Can You Brew It show. I travel a bit for work and get to the US about every 3 months. When I'm there I try as many IPAs I can without suffering too much the next day! This is easy to do at any good bar in the US with 40+ taps and pints at $4-$6 dollars.

Green Flash is one of my favs so when it appeared on the Can You Brew It show I was stoked so I could brew it here in Oz. This was the first time I brewed it and second ever AIPA and thought it was very close to the original.

Just might have one tonight. :icon_chickcheers:

Browndog,

I will bring one to the next meeting. I'm not a big drinker and don't have mates who are into big hoppy beers so there should be some in the keg - just the hops would have dropped a bit.

I just picked up the score sheet from Sim as I had to get him to place it into the comp for me. The score blew me away :icon_cheers: . I was away this week for work in Perth so had to miss the meeting and didn't get a chance to talk to anyone on Thursday. I have a great respect for Liam's (The Scientist) judging. I have only been to Babbs since August last year and have sat at his table as well as had him judge my Oz Pale in Jan and he seems to know his stuff.

The recipe is the http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-database-178064/Green Flash West Coast IPA (finally worked out how to do the link thing) which was cloned on the Can You Brew It show. I travel a bit for work and get to the US about every 3 months. When I'm there I try as many IPAs I can without suffering too much the next day! This is easy to do at any good bar in the US with 40+ taps and pints at $4-$6 dollars.

Green Flash is one of my favs so when it appeared on the Can You Brew It show I was stoked so I could brew it here in Oz. This was the first time I brewed it and second ever AIPA and thought it was very close to the original.

Ah...good to hear the background story to this beer. I think the BN do some great stuff and the clone brew shows are some of my fav's. You should write them an email to let Jamil and crew know that you had great success with this recipe.

I think with you being well traveled to the US has given you a great insight in to this style of beer and in turn you know how your beers fair up against comercial examples. Well done and I am glad you got some positive feedback from a BABBs mini comp.

You may have let the cat out of the bag now with this recipe, so what are you going to brew for the BABBs Championship/QABC? :ph34r:

Cheers,

TS

Browndog,

Excellent, great background story there and it certainly sounds like you nailed it. Looking forward to April

Latest posts

Back