Babb March Meeting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RdeVjun

Reaction score
BABB Folk,
March 24th Mini Comp No. 2:- American Ale.
At time of entry, beer must be nominated into BABB's beer classes: 4.1 American Pale Ale, 4.2 American IPA, 4.3 American Brown Ale

Apologies on my behalf- I'll be in Canberra while this month's club meeting is on. :( You'll probably find me commiserating this great loss by sinking a few tubes at the Wig & Pen... :icon_cheers:

Have a good trip to Canbeera. Did you leave out the Amber or has it been discontinued? I note it wasn't in the state or Nats last year, although it was in BABBs.

Edit: if you run into DrK tell him that BIAB is going to totally destroy the lager classes in the Nats this year and to be worried. Be very, very worried. B)

Have a good trip to Canbeera. Did you leave out the Amber or has it been discontinued? I note it wasn't in the state or Nats last year, although it was in BABBs.
Thanks BribieG, we'll be thinking of you all! :icon_drunk:

That's straight from the website, so just cut & paste, maybe the committee or chief steward could elaborate? There's no American Malt Liquor class either for that crazy juice... :D

Edit: if you run into DrK tell him that BIAB is going to totally destroy the lager classes in the Nats this year and to be worried. Be very, very worried. B)
Bribie,
The amber was taken out as it hasn't been in the state or Nats, ever as far as I'm aware, and we have tried to align our comp with QABC.
I believe the question of why the comps don't have Amber has been raised to the AABC, but whether anything will change I don't know.
As a style that a number of members do like to make we'd be looking to include it if we can.
Of course we don't have to align but that has been the intention...

For some reason Australia never seemed to "get" American Amber - they are always banging on about it on the American brewing radio channels :icon_cheers:
Not upset, as long as I've got my Malt Liquor for the comps this year :icon_drunk:

Bribie,
The amber was taken out as it hasn't been in the state or Nats, ever as far as I'm aware, and we have tried to align our comp with QABC.
I believe the question of why the comps don't have Amber has been raised to the AABC, but whether anything will change I don't know.
As a style that a number of members do like to make we'd be looking to include it if we can.
Of course we don't have to align but that has been the intention...

Yeah i've always found it strange that they chose to ignore the style. I was going to brew one recently till i remembered that it would be no good for comps. Decided to just do a 100IBU IPA instead :blink:

Will be entering my LFPA for comments and an IPA for points. Just have to filter and dry hop the keg tonight for a few days of resiny goodness to come out

My APA (hopped a l'argon and later dry hopped) was bottled a week ago, crack one tonight and see how it went.

mmmm 3 days to brew, no chill, ferment, dry hop, keg and condition my Homegrown Hops IPA for this comp....

might be cutting it a bit fine :lol:

Very old bottle of something to enter :(

PB

I was hoping to make it to my 1st BABB meeting but SWMBO is flying out so babysitter might be an issue. (but hope to resolve the problem)

If i was to bring a beer for comments how does it work? I only bottle... but i have both a APA ready and LFPA mostly carbed <_< .

eg what size 330 or 750? how many?
labeled with and what ?
how do i avoid shaking the sediment?

hoping to be told if me beer is ok or shite or ?....

many thanks

I was hoping to make it to my 1st BABB meeting but SWMBO is flying out so babysitter might be an issue. (but hope to resolve the problem)

If i was to bring a beer for comments how does it work? I only bottle... but i have both a APA ready and LFPA mostly carbed <_< .

eg what size 330 or 750? how many?
labeled with and what ?
how do i avoid shaking the sediment?

hoping to be told if me beer is ok or shite or ?....

many thanks
Maheel,

You'll be most welcome if you can make it.
We aren't going anywhere in a hurry, so there's always next month.
Bring both beers for the comp if you want feedback...750ml bottles glass or PET.
There's printed paper on the night with a hole cut in it to slip over your entries (you nominate a style and stick your name on there).
If your a member, you also have to indicate at entry time - which of the beers is evaluation only.
Visitors can only enter evaluation beers.
Sediment...well try not to disturb on the journey....but the stewards will pour your beer appropriately.
I've learned not to enter 2 as everyone always picks the wrong one - the winning beer has been an eval beer more than once :p and then was not counted.

PB

Still on track to be there. Where is it at? 7.30pm start?
Lynndon Bowls Club, Galsworthy Street, Holland Park West, Qld.
It's a shortish walk from the Holland Park West Busway if coming by public transport

7:30 PMish start, depending on whether you mean the meeting or the drinking...

It's at the Lynndon Bowls club, Galsworthy St, Holland park West. Without a guide it's quite tricky to get to.

Where are you staying?

Definitely bring along that LFPA mate. Keen to know how it turned out.

Definitely bring along that LFPA mate. Keen to know how it turned out.

im pretty keen for it to have a bit longer in the bottle :) but it's getting there...

might put a tallie in the fridge for late tonight to test, the couple of stubbies have been OK.

trying to shaw up the sister for babysitting... lol

mmmm 3 days to brew, no chill, ferment, dry hop, keg and condition my Homegrown Hops IPA for this comp....

might be cutting it a bit fine :lol:

heh, im in the same boat!

sim

Hey guys,

Am I right to bring along a gluten free coriander and orange peel hefe for review?

Thanks

Hey guys,

Am I right to bring along a gluten free coriander and orange peel hefe for review?

Thanks
You can bring any beer for review at any meeting, no matter what mini-comp is on that night.

Also, members, the newsletter has gone out so if you are a member and didn't get it 1)check your spam folder and 2) email [email protected] so I can check if we have the right email for you or what your status is...

It's at the Lynndon Bowls club, Galsworthy St, Holland park West. Without a guide it's quite tricky to get to.

Where are you staying?

As always, the best made plans can always fail when blindsided by an unexpected family situation. The joys of having 5 children are outweighed when teenage angst and down right stupidity mean that I have to cancel a trip cos my daughter and her boyfriend are just plain stupid. <_< Why do we love them so ???

Non refundable plane tickets too! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH !

Still trying to salvage my holiday trip to Cairns and hoping to make Bribie's show next week. I'll get back to you.

7:30 PMish start, depending on whether you mean the meeting or the drinking...
That's the trouble with brew clubs .. wasting good drinking time with silly little meetings :drinks:

Latest posts

Back