Auto Siphon ‘mare!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edd

Reaction score
Put down my third brew last night and all was going well. Mashed bang on temp, hit pre-boil SG to with 3 points. Boiled well, pretty much nailed post book volume so had high hopes for the OG. Whirlpool and rest went well, and finally on to siphoning off to the NC cube.
What a disaster! The auto siphon wouldn’t draw unless many pumps were done, there was nothing but a steady trickle going down the line. But what was worse and bloody heartbreaking to watch, was the wort backing up the line to maybe 12inchea or so clear of the level within the cube and making a shit load of bubbles in the line. I tried turning the seals within the siphon, re attaching the line but no joy. I’m just crossing my fingers that it is not going to taint the Beer, I’ll add to fermenter and pitch yeast later today, doubt there will be much need to aerate the wort, siphons done that just fine! I’m tempted to ditch the auto siphon and just use a racking cane and silicone tube next time.
Gutted! [emoji51]

Latest posts

Back