Australian International Beer Awards 2006

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And congrats to the Wig and Pen for three bronzes two silvers and a gold (for the Imperial stout, best in class!)

sorry add three more bronzes and a silver!

34 entries from Redoak!!!

Gives a new meaning to carpet bombing!

Congratulations to all prize winners.

tdh

Agree with the Champion Ale. A few of my fellow brewers here in SA have tried it too. :p

C&B
TDA

Dave from Redoak was just on JJJ talking about the Grand Champion Beer,
I've forgotten most of it but he did mention it was a Barley wine aged in three different kinds of barrels.

The dude on JJJ said the same thing
The head steward replied that for an "Australian Lager" it was spot on the guidelines.

mikem108 said:
The dude on JJJ said the same thing
The head steward replied that for an "Australian Lager" it was spot on the guidelines.
A year or two ago a friend of mine organised a blind beer tasting of pale lagers. Believe it or not, Tooheys New was the unanimous choice as the best Australian beer, though it was beaten by a couple of Eurolagers. I recall being quite impressed by it, but I don't think I've had one since.

mikem108 said:
Dave from Redoak was just on JJJ talking about the Grand Champion Beer,
I've forgotten most of it but he did mention it was a Barley wine aged in three different kinds of barrels.
[post="126499"][/post]​

I saw a snippet on the late news at the end of last week with Dave after the winners were announced.
Apparently the beer is only evalable at the Red Oak cafe if you book in for a meal with a minimum of 10 persons.

So I'm guessing they don't have a lot of it, or they are trying to add mystic to the beer as well.

Beers,
Doc

Only available at Redoaks special dinners

"The Redoak Special Reserve is a barley wine specialty beer. For those that don't know, a barley wine beer is a dark English style ale which is almost fortified like a wine, hence the term 'barley wine'. However, it is still a beer as it is made of grains, not grapes. What distinguishes Redoak's Special Reserve is that it has gone through three fermentations and is matured on various types of oak for over 2 years which adds a unique dimension and complexity to the beer.

Brewers tasting notes - The Special Reserve has a lovely aroma of alcohol with hints of vanilla. There is a sweet light maltiness on the palate which dominates the palate initially then dissipates as the flavour of vanilla comes forth and then explodes leaving an 'exotice liquer-like' finish.This beer is served in a custom made crystal goblet to enhance the oak aromas, release the alcohol and fully develop the flavours. "

Being such a specialty beer, it is only served at Redoak Boutique Beer Cafe as part of our Redoak Special Reserve Dinner where it can be explained, appreciated and enjoyed to the fullest at the end of a three course 'beergustation' menu. Redoak Special Reserve Dinners can be booked for groups of 10 or more, or you can book into our next Beer Tasting Dinner

Tim at 5 islands went pretty good too, picked up a few medals ( cant recall right now how many or what ), and so did scotty, for his south coast blonde. Congrats to all winners. Wish i had a few of them now actually!!

Gerard_M said:
This may be of interest, particularly those that wandered the streets on the Sydney pub crawl.

http://www.beerawards.com/pdfs/2006%20Trophy%20winners.pdf

http://www.beerawards.com/pdfs/2006%20Catalogue.pdf

Big Congrats to Callum at Paddy's
cheers
Gerard
[post="125825"][/post]​

Results have been updated - Colonial Brewing in Margaret River has been awarded the Champion Small Brewery Trophy instead of Paddy's since Colonial always had a higher score in the Small Brewery Section. :beer:

http://www.beerawards.com/pdfs/2006-trophy-winners.pdf

http://www.beerawards.com/pdfs/2006-catalogue-of-results.pdf

I would hope that the organizers do the right thing and send out media releases advising of the correction and note it on their home page.

And yes I drink at Colonial but no I'm not the brewer Dean who also posts on this forum.

Latest posts

Back