Australian Draught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewCarey82

"Baron Hardmans" Chief brewer.
Reaction score
Hi guys doing a partial mash and would apprecate some feedback.

3.6kgs Pilsener malt
400g wheat malt
1.5kg Dried Light Malt
Saflager

Mash @ 66 degrees for 1.5 hours. = 10 litres
Sparge with 9 litres @ 90-100 degrees for 15 mins and stirr.
60 min boil
20g POR @ 30 mins
10g Cascade @ 15 mins
10g Cascade @ 0 mins.

Help would be appreciated.

Hi guys doing a partial mash and would apprecate some feedback.

3.5kgs Pilsener malt
100g crystal malt
400g wheat malt
1.5kg Dried Light Malt
Saflager

And pride of ringwood hops, will be buying a 450g via Ross, and wont to do multiple brews just after an easy drinking Lager for the summer months while I can still get the bugger down @ temps of 12 degrees.

Help would be appreciated.

You may regret having that much Pride... if you want some super pride let me know i'll give you some of my 500g stash (13% AA).

I'd go for something a bit lighter, maybe some hallertau for hopping?

Hey mate.

I mean as in buying 450g for use in a few batch's not just the one, just getting a feel for bittering but I know that you wouldnt use more the 75g to a 100g for bittering.

Wouldnt mind it having a malty taste as well.

Wouldnt mind it having a malty taste as well.

Get yourself some melanoidin, you can always pull a decoction too but melanoidin is so much easier. Pride for bittering should only be about 15-25g per batch anyway, 75g would be insanely bitter wouldn't it? Not really the sort of hop to use later than 30minutes before the end of the boil IMO.

i thought you didnt like POR?? eg. Case Swap

Not with a Morgans Pilsener. - Came out dreadful - hate to admit that about a beer I've made.

But love it with my Draughts, IE - Toohers Draught, Morgans Draught ect.

And wont to come up with a partial recipe.

Have a search DC. There's heaps on decoctions. Basically, just taking some of the mash and boiling it up. Have a look here if you are really interested. Makes for maltier tasting beer (perhaps :ph34r: ).

Stuster what do you think of my recipe for what I am trying to achieve and what would you recommend for hop additions?

Cheers.

DC

I've never used PoR so not sure I can give you any feedback on the hop schedule. Grains are fine, though you could drop the crystal for a light summer beer, but either way is fine. Ross' summer ale in the recipe section looks good. You could just sub the hops you want. Have a look at this topic, and this thread as well.

BTW, I had your Xmas case beer last night. Not really to my tastes, but not undrinkable I thought. I've become too much of a hop head I guess. My wife thought it was a nice beer. :super: Are you sure there was PoR in that beer?

Mate its that or something really, really bitter, but I tried it a month ago, might have mellowed with age?

Tried one of mine on the weekend fellas and to my alarm it looks like morgans have stuffed me up big time, its got Pride of Ringwood in it.

Even though the finishing hops clearly stated that it was Saaz.

i thought you tried it on the weekend?

I did but got rid of it rather quick, sorry got my beers muddled.

Hey mate.

I mean as in buying 450g for use in a few batch's not just the one, just getting a feel for bittering but I know that you wouldnt use more the 75g to a 100g for bittering.

450g of POR (assuming 10% AA) is enough to bitter over 500 litres of beer. 20g is ample for a regular 23L batch. I hope you drink a lot of beer very quickly as POR does not store well.

Yeah I've just decided to grab 90g for the moment, will see how that goes.

Cheers.

If I wanted to add some cascade for aroma and flavour, how much would I add?

I'd presume.

20g POR @ 30mins.
10g Cascade @ 15mins.
10g Cascade @ 0mins.

Download Promash Trial, it might help...

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.50
Anticipated OG: 1.063 Plato: 15.41
Anticipated SRM: 6.0
Anticipated IBU: 15.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 27.06 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.053 SG 13.20 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
63.6 3.50 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 2
1.8 0.10 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 1.035 74
7.3 0.40 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 2
27.3 1.50 kg. Muntons DME - Light England 1.046 5

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
20.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 9.20 12.6 30 min.
10.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.75 1.5 10 min.
10.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.75 1.5 10 min.

Yeast
-----

DC

have a read of those threads I linked to before. Heaps of ideas of beers similar to what you are thinking of. :super:

I alread did a search - believe me if I posted everything I thought of b4 I searched u'd see 50 threads a day from me.

And no partial recipes on there, I know vaguely what I wont to do just need help in formulating it.

That's why you need some brewing software DC.

Get the brew software, punch in an AG recipe. Then start subbing some of the base malts out for some extract until you meet the required gravity of the original recipe.

Just a thought....

JS

PS. Also noticed that you log these recipes from discussions in the recipe database as soon as you brew them... I'd advise you to hold them back until you taste the resulting brew and know if its good enough to suggest to others.... Just another thought....

The recipes I've posted have been ripped off from other people and I've made sure they've commented its okay. - I wouldnt post recipes blindly.

And I cant download stuff @ work meaning that I need to get down to a net cafe that allows u to burn onto a CD or a floppy disk as I dont have the net on the home CPU.

Sort of handicaps me and unfortunately no doubt annoys people on here which I regret but.....

Latest posts

Back