Aussie Lager - Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive used POR late (depends on what you mean by late) before, and it turned out to be quite a good beer. One of my more memorable ones? No, not really, but it was more than drinkable. Agree it certainly helps with fresh stock.

Mine were Ellerslie POR's and i swear you could feel the gooey goodness when you measured them out they were that fresh. Not dried up shit like my local sells...

From memory, the "late" addition on that batch was 20 minutes....Not really late by any stretch, but certainly a lot later than a standard bittering addition.

Pride of Ringwood has the aroma of a pirate's gangrenous leg stump shortly after he removes it from his wooden leg and salves it with pigfat.

The cheek of them to call it "pride". Where is Ringwood anyway? Is it a place, or is it a fungal disease on the end of an erect penis?

Pride of Ringwood has the aroma of a pirate's gangrenous leg stump shortly after he removes it from his wooden leg and salves it with pigfat.

The cheek of them to call it "pride". Where is Ringwood anyway? Is it a place, or is it a fungal disease on the end of an erect penis?

I take it you're not a big fan of PoR there Nick? Haha

I take it you're not a big fan of PoR there Nick? Haha

I quite like the stuff, but only if it's had the living shit boiled out of it.

The fact that a whole country's beer is derived from the sweaty armpit hop supreme astounds me. I pray that POR gets a hop disease and the fields are replanted with any high AA NZ hop and we can start enjoying megaswill.

I pray that POR gets a hop disease and the fields are replanted with any high AA NZ hop and we can start enjoying megaswill.

Ahhh, now you're talking!

wouldn't a low AA be better as you have to use a crapload more of it...so more flavour? or does it not work like dat?

+1

From personal experience, if you don't have solid control of the temperature, don't risk it with a Lager yeast. Use US-05 as its far more forgiving with a little fluctuation than a Lager yeast and it also cleans up quicker. Given the reduced level of malt and hop complexity you are planning, US-05 will be perfect to dazzle your mega-swill friends with.

Besides, they wouldn't know the difference between an Ale or Lager yeast. :lol:

Perhaps they won't but they will know what they like, and what they like won't be brewed with an ale yeast.
If you looking for an Aussie lager recipe then US-05 won't cut it,OK it might be a nice beer but it won't be like an Aussie mega swill. Funny how brewers are so experienced at brewing imported beers but really can't replicate a true Aussie lager.

Batz

POR flowers are great. I did two Aussie 'pale ale' type things with last season's flowers - one about %5.4 and one at %4. Both were 20 minute only additions with fresh flowers. Fantastic, despite all you nay sayers. I've used the pellet form quite a lot also, there is a big difference, but still - Im a big supporter of POR if you know how to use what you've got... Cascade it aint, but it never purported to be...

Where is Ringwood anyway? Is it a place, or is it a fungal disease on the end of an erect penis?

Outer eastern suburb of Melbourne. It was developed by the CUB boys in the place next to what is modern day Car City (the only thing ringwood is famous for apart from the train station and eastland). Rumour is they started growing them else where because the lights on Maroondah Highway were interfering with the growth cycle. No penis diseases that I know of but Im sure plent can be found at Ringwood Station.

Ringwood has a half decent public golf course as well, with one of the most impressive golf ball blocking freeway fences I have ever seen.

Perhaps they won't but they will know what they like, and what they like won't be brewed with an ale yeast.
If you looking for an Aussie lager recipe then US-05 won't cut it,OK it might be a nice beer but it won't be like an Aussie mega swill. Funny how brewers are so experienced at brewing imported beers but really can't replicate a true Aussie lager.

Batz

When you want to replicate something, starting with the same ingredients and processes seems like a very good idea.

Emulating something on the other hand gives more leeway.

You want to make VB for your mates, do what CUB do as much as you possibly can.

You want to make a beer you think vb loving mates might enjoy (before they comment on how it isn't as good or simply crack their own tinnies) then add your own thing.

Personally, I'd be happy to buy a VB slab for someone that's a dyed in the wool drinker of the stuff.

Anyway here's my Aussie lager that I enjoyed. I found it a lot more flavoursome and malty than VB. Sub in the Danish lager yeast and ferment warm and it might approach CUB beers a lot more. Replace some malt with adjunct (sugar or rice maybe) and it might approach it a little more.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;recipe=1260

+1 for if you have a fridge ready for lagers, try and use it for lagers. Either set it to the warmest temp, or get yourself a timer and control your temps that way. I used a timer for years before getting a thermostat.

I have a standard lager waiting in the cube for me to get home this afternoon. 4kg pilsner malt, 1kg cooked rice. Saaz 60 minute addition only. Mash dropped and raised between 66C and 63C. Wyeast 2007 Pilsner yeast.

Never understood the fascination / obsession in cloning Aussie lagers for mates... sure it's what they drink and it wouldn't be a bad idea to give them something familiar.

But... i've never met or seen anyone that when given the choice between VB or Heineken (insert your own Euro lager here) went for the VB. So why not make a decent Euro Lager, tell em it's just like the "premium" stuff and if they want cheap Aussie lager, then it's readily available at the bottlo or pub.

I think alot of us here consider the average bloke a little too steadfast in their brand loyalty. As long as your giving them something familiar, most people are pretty happy.

Id drop the POR back a little and add in a late-10min Cluster addition.

Served up a Coopers lager kit with Cluster to the father in law on the weekend--(fosters/vb drinker) and he loved it...
brewed at 15c with s189..2 weeks in the FV and bottled.

Never understood the fascination / obsession in cloning Aussie lagers for mates... sure it's what they drink and it wouldn't be a bad idea to give them something familiar.

But... i've never met or seen anyone that when given the choice between VB or Heineken (insert your own Euro lager here) went for the VB. So why not make a decent Euro Lager, tell em it's just like the "premium" stuff and if they want cheap Aussie lager, then it's readily available at the bottlo or pub.

I think alot of us here consider the average bloke a little too steadfast in their brand loyalty. As long as your giving them something familiar, most people are pretty happy.

For me, if I can make their beer almost exactly, when I have "Chimay Premiere" written above the tap they also believe that.

It's also an "in ya face" moment when they say, "Fark, that's close!" and go to get more, then ask, "How much does this stuff cost to make?" and watch their face when you tell them, "Fifteen cents a schooner." Pun aside, that's gold.

You are a brave man!

I'm pretty confident it will turn out to be a nice brew,Though I may come back and declare myself brave but stupid and learnt a lesson. I'm too stubborn to learn from other people's mistakes, but that often works out well (but occassionally...)

Cheers for all the great information guys! I'll pop down to the LHBS on the weekend and pick up a packet of US-05.

Will the US-05 still benefit from a lagering period? Or should i just treat it as i would a normal ale?

Also, has anyone had any experience with using PoR late in the boil?

If you can get fresh POR flowers then late POR is very nice.

I have a POR IPA on the cards soon using my homegrown POR flowers. 50 IBU with loads of POR flowers in the hop back.

Fresh POR flowers have a very fruity aroma, nothing like the pellets you get from dodgy HBS.

I have brewed an aussie ale of sorts which had 1g/L of POR flowers at 20 and flameout.

A few years ago we had a hop challenge amongst local brewers. It was designed so that we could find out what each hop gave to a beer without having to brew several of the same beers each. Same grist, only difference was the hops (same late hopping schedule, 60 min adjusted to get the same total IBU). US05 to let the hops shine. I really enjoyed the POR version and it convinced me to use some late POR in my own beers.

Might be against the grain, but i dont reckon you need adjuncts. You can mash very low and long ( 62-63 for 90 ), and use a highly attenuative yeast to get fg down under 1.010. Most koelsh grain bills are 90%pils 10% wheat, or even just 100% pils, and they are light bodied and crisp. Mash low and long, and the yeast will chew it right down. S189'd probably work well. WY 1007 does a good pseudo lager too. That's just my .02c though.

Latest posts

Back