Aussie beer brewed in China

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DU99

Reaction score
A liquor wholesaler has been fined $10,200 for trying to pass off a beer brewed in China as Australian.
Aussie Beer had green and gold labelling featuring the slogan `Australia's finest malt', plus the words `100% owned' within a map of Australia.
But it was brewed in China, and a co-operative of NSW and Queensland bottle shops, clubs and restaurants has been fined by the consumer watchdog for misleading consumers.
The Independent Liquor Group, which includes the Little Bottler, Super Cellars and Pubmart chains of bottle shops, supplied Aussie Beer between March and August 2014.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said the packaging was misleading and breached consumer law.
"Country of origin representations, particularly those designed to grab the eye of the consumer by using well known symbols, colours, or slogans, must be truthful," ACCC chairman Rod Sims said.
"Consumers are entitled to expect that prominent representations made on packaging are accurate without having to check for disclosures in the fine print."

LINK

Heard the tail end of this report on the radio today,and was wondering what the whole story was.
Thanks

Playing devils advocate, I see nothing wrong with the carton. Everything in every store would have to be fined if this was carried out across the board, the "made in china" fine print is always on the back/bottom in small print and all packaging/advertising is designed to mislead the consumer, otherwise they would not buy it. The company importing it and having it made under contract probably is 100% owned, so that is a fact, if the contract specifies that 100% Australian malt has to be used, then that would be fact as well.

If the ding dongs buying it don't take a proper read of the packaging, their problem and their loss of $. A fool and his money are easily parted.

Wonder if anyone will get done for their IPAs?...."Wait a minute this isn't even from INDIA!"

And define pale, I've seen some pretty red-looking IPAs around!

Its prob no different to the big brewers marketing some beers as " craft beer "

It's a bit like something being made in Australia and the manufacturer pretending it came from China. :blink: :huh:
That happens all the time...........

What about KOALA rice where do you think that's grown.

pcmfisher said:
It's a bit like something being made in Australia and the manufacturer pretending it came from China. :blink: :huh:
That happens all the time...........
it does if you look at Stella Artois being brewed here under license, it's very difficult to tell the fully imported one from the one brewed here, until you taste it.

wynnum1 said:
Is that a trick question given the owner of the brand is a rice growing co-operative based in NSW?

So not a trick question then, although to be fair there is a world of difference between using Koala as a brand name for foreign sourced rice and using Aussie Beer as a brand for Chinese beer. It is beer after all, which is way more important than rice, even when its megaswill

$10,200 is a paltry sum of money, they have 1,500 outlets they supply so I would imagine they would have purchased at least a 40 foot container load which is approximately 4,500 slabs, coming from China the beer would have been cheap so a couple of dollars on a slab would hardly be noticed :lol:
And maybe they could incorporate that as miscellaneous losses on the transaction at tax time :ph34r:

Blind Dog said:
So not a trick question then, although to be fair there is a world of difference between using Koala as a brand name for foreign sourced rice and using Aussie Beer as a brand for Chinese beer. It is beer after all, which is way more important than rice, even when its megaswill
Repeat after me, with a Chinese accent, Koala rice gulls :).

spog said:
Repeat after me, with a Chinese accent, Koala rice gulls :).
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...............I thing I just broke a rib.... :lol:

Dont forget, the beer didnt sell and they took it off the market anyway. Personally, I'm less inclined to buy something branded as 'Aussie'*** than I am something that actually says 'Made in Australia'. Even then made in Australia doesn't guarantee Australian owned, Australian ingredients etc.
I thought average Joe and Joanne were well aware of this and if buying Australian mattered to them they would read and check the product packaging.
I'm pretty well sick of being governed so the lowest common denominator doesnt get 'tricked into buying fake Aussie'
Maybe this should be in the rant section
***Unless I need a flag to drape around my next when I'm off to the beach to bash other Aussies that dont look like me.

wynnum1 said:
What about Koala rice?
As far as I know we don't grow it here and pretend it is grown in China.

AndrewQLD said:
it does if you look at Stella Artois being brewed here under license, it's very difficult to tell the fully imported one from the one brewed here, until you taste it.
Do we brew Stella here and make out it comes from China?

Maybe my post wasn't very good.

Their argument was Australian Owned which they claim is correct also Australian malted barley which one would assume to be correct, can't imagine China growing and malting its own barley, and as frasier_john said if the purchaser couldn't be bothered to check out where it was made more fool them and if it was taken off the market it must have been pretty rank, especially as Monkey Fist is still being sold, though I can't imagine who would be buying it.
Anyone who does try to mislead the Australian public are making themselves a soft target for the ACCC as it is very hard for them to nail goods coming into the country which are full on copies
In our house I have quite a few copied goods which have been made in China and one even has a label warning to beware of imitations, they are all as good as originals and a hell of a lot cheaper, so who is ripping off Joe Public the original brand producer, the copiers or both?

Back