Aussie Barley Prices

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wessmith

Reaction score
Dont know if any of you have been watching grain prices, but malting grade barley went through the A$450/tonne barrier today. That is up from A$200/tonne 3 years ago. And the picture in UK/EU is similar. Major shortage of supply - sooooo, stock up guys, the next malt pricing season starts next March/April and it will be expensive.

Wes

Thats it. I'm building the next expansion onto the brewery. The grain storage wing. Lucky my wife has already granted planning permission :p

Doc

way to go wes, why you gotta scare us like this. like beer isnt already expensive enough. $20 a six pack is just plain wrong.

SImple!

2005_grain_silo_in_mansfield.jpg

Just set up house in the middle.

have the augers run grain strait into the mill

one full of pilsner
one full of Ale
one full of munich
one full of wheat

ITs all good

:p

Thanks for the heads up. Will be buying some grain before prices rise. mainly bags of import stuff. Its already hard to afford.

Weyermann wheat malt and munich is on the list. a couple of 50 KG bags of IMC pilsner should see me through for a while

cheers

Been watching this closely Wes. Sort of like petrol prices, they only get scarier, they never seem to back off a bit.... I'll be putting a bit of a stockpile in I think. :ph34r: I like Tony's option, but I lack the room...:(

Approx $66/year over 3 years is hardly cause for concern considering the many dramas the poor farmer has been through.With so many throwing in the towel altogether im suprised it isnt even more.
I also dont like price increases but these days its a way of life.Homebrewing maybe getting more expensive but it is still far cheaper and more enjoyable than the other option.

Cheers
Big D

So making 23 litres of brew may cost you $35 instead of $30. still a truck load cheaper than buying shit beer.

Yes, prices are going to go up, I think we all are going to have to accept this. Being the son of a grazier, I do not mind paying as being on the land is not as profitable as it used to be in the "old" days, especially with the drought.

Either way, I am quite prepared to pay:
  1. It still makes cheaper beer
  2. It still makes better quality beer
  3. If buying liquid yeast, as a % of total cost, the barley is only about 2/3 of a 20 litre batch
  4. My time is worth far more than barley/yeast/hops added together anyway
  5. Its a great, rewarding hobby and its a real thrill to have a megaswill drinker say "Christ thats good beer"
  6. You can make beer styles that are only available as imports at $7 and up per 330ml bottle
Further, did I not read somewhere that the Victorian based megaswill producer was going to lower the alcohol content of their green cans and increase the content of the adjuncts (sugar) so that they could save $3.8Million/year? All the while charging the same amount?

Having just been involved in the Melbourne Bulk Buy, I am set probably till after Xmas :party:

Latest posts

Back