Aussie Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDJ

Reaction score
I made this awhile ago and would gladly drink it from a rusty holden hubcap :p

Any details on what this fine ale consists of so we too can drink it out of rusty holden hubcaps?

Looks nice... Any tasting notes? Recipe?

Looks real nice. I can just taste it now mmmmmmm

Looks good Steve.
Is that the recipe I gave you? Glad your enjoying it.
Its actually one I've pinched from Tony.
Easy, simple recipe that is too easy to drink.
Mmmm, the keg is almost empty, I think I'll make
another this weekend.
Cheers, Duane.

Alright, share it up (the recipe) boys.

Nice looking beer SDJ; great golden colour :)

Looks good Steve.
Is that the recipe I gave you? Glad your enjoying it.
Its actually one I've pinched from Tony.
Easy, simple recipe that is too easy to drink.
Mmmm, the keg is almost empty, I think I'll make
another this weekend.
Cheers, Duane.

(Assuming this is Tony's recipe)?? I was sold at Tony's post with his description along the lines of, "Great drinking ice cold from the keg while working around the house."

Recipe up,

reVox

Alright, share it up (the recipe) boys.
Nice looking beer SDJ; great golden colour :)
(Assuming this is Tony's recipe)?? I was sold at Tony's post with his description along the lines of, "Great drinking ice cold from the keg while working around the house."
Recipe up,

With apologies to Tony for posting his recipe, but something this simple and yet so good deserves being placed on a pedestal.

Tony's Bulls Tail Pale Ale A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L): 54.00 Wort Size (L): 54.00
Total Grain (kg): 11.00
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.78
Anticipated EBC: 9.8
Anticipated IBU: 27.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
100.0 11.00 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
14.00 g. Pride of Ringwood (whole) Whole 9.60 6.6 First WH
46.00 g. Pride of Ringwood (whole) Whole 9.60 18.2 40 min.
30.00 g. Pride of Ringwood (whole) Whole 9.60 2.7 5 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 tablet Irish Moss Fining 10 Min.(boil)
Yeast US-05

What variations on this theme has anyone had success with ?

Founding (only) member of THEBAGMAN (Tuross Head Extract Brewing All Grain Mashing Amateur Nutcase .. okay still working on the last two letters)

FGZ, I thought the last 2 were the ones you had sorted already & it was the other 7 letters that were of concern ........ B) :ph34r:

Sorry, i just couldn't let that opportunity pass :lol:

FGZ, I thought the last 2 were the ones you had sorted already & it was the other 7 letters that were of concern ........

Sorry, i just couldn't let that opportunity pass :

:ph34r: THEBAGMAN :ph34r: knows where you live C ........................................ :D

Your right Revox, assuming it is the same recipe,
this is what I use.

95% pale
5% wheat
10 IBU POR 60 min
15 IBU POR at 45 min

From memory Tony said the 60 min addition is FWH. I just throw it in at the start of boil.
Couldnt be easier.
Sometimes I'll throw in a bit of Pale crystal, up the 60 min addition
and lose the 45 min addition for a change.
Cheers, Duane.

That beer of Tonys was the first AG I did, but the recipe for Bulls tail ale he gave me was slightly different than that. Mine included a couple of hundred grams of wheat as well.

I was very happy with how mine turned out but have since tweaked it more to my likeing. I have dropped the 5 min POR addition, because I beleive it was giveing my beer a slight grassy taste/smell. I now add Cechz saaz instead at 5 mins
Since this slight change I have not changed anything else. I love this beer and it has become one of my regulars, so simple but very rewarding.

Cheers to Tony

That beer of Tonys was the first AG I did, but the recipe for Bulls tail ale he gave me was slightly different than that. Mine included a couple of hundred grams of wheat as well.

I was very happy with how mine turned out but have since tweaked it more to my likeing. I have dropped the 5 min POR addition, because I beleive it was giveing my beer a slight grassy taste/smell. I now add Cechz saaz instead at 5 mins
Since this slight change I have not changed anything else. I love this beer and it has become one of my regulars, so simple but very rewarding.
Cheers to Tony

Yes, he's a gem. A guru. A god .. no, we'll stick to guru.

No doubt he has done a number of modifications over time to his ale. Everyone should look at adapting any recipe to suit their tastes. One of the main things that inspires me though is his usage of hop flowers rather than pellet. When I use up my stock of pellets, I'll try the fresh flower route. He is also good at tasting beers - his comments in the NSW Xmas Case swap have been incisive and everyone pays attention to his comment. On the downside, the photos of the bait (fish) he posted on the site last week .. he may be dillusional.

But I guess the main thing is, beer is a simple product.

Back