Attempting 1st Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkstalen

Reaction score
I'm finally going to have a go at a partial basing my methods on NickJD's 9L stove top method. I'm aiming for a decent German Lager.

Recipe is as follows:
1kg Pilsner Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)
1kg Munich I Malt (Weyermann)
200g Cara-Pills
100g Carared Malt (Weyermann)
50g Carafa Special T3 Malt (Weyermann)

Mash in 10L @ 67deg for 60min (strike temp 70deg)
Dunk sparge in bucket with a couple of litres of 70deg water.

Back on to boil.
30g Hallertau Hersbucker @ 60min
10g Hallertau Hersbucker @ 15min
10g Cascade @ 15
5g Hallertau Hersbucker @ 5min
5g Cascade @ 5min

At the 5min aroma additions I'm also going to chuck in the Extract which is..
500g Light DME
500g Extra Light DME
250g Dextrose

No-Chill cool wort overnight, top up to 22L. Pitch SafLager W-34/70 at 15deg, ferment at 12deg for 14days.
Transfer to cube and Lager at ~5deg until one of my kegs is empty or 28days (which ever is longer).

Expected OG 1.046
Expected FG 1.012

Not sure if Cascade is right here, thinking about change it to Saaz or POR (to give it an Aussie profile). I've also got a very small amount of Hallertau Aroma hops which I'll probably chuck in at the 5min mark.

Comments?

nice one on the partial step up... looks like a nice solid recipe.

I think you're right questioning the Cascade... i'd sub for the Hallertau Aroma.

Good luck Steinberg.
+1 for swapping cascade to saaz or hallertau.

Yep, I'd ditch the Cascade for sure.

Just checking - ditch cascade, because it'll overpower the Hall? Or is it a rubbish hop.

Reason I ask, it's a "mainstream" hop - and I have a mate who is just now gluten intolerant, drinks pretty mainstream beer (when he could) and I'm planning on knocking him up a sorghum and rice gluten free beer, and was thinking of using cascade with one of the noble german hops to make a "normal" mainstream style beer.

Any ideas (sorry OP for going :icon_offtopic: - P.S. Your first extract & partial looks great to me. Nice mix of grains there.

Goomba

I was originally thinking of ditching the Cascade because I wasn't sure if it would be suited to the traditional German Lager Style.
If I was doing an Ale then I'd be more inclined to keep the Cascade.
Just my $0.02

I was originally thinking of ditching the Cascade because I wasn't sure if it would be suited to the traditional German Lager Style.
If I was doing an Ale then I'd be more inclined to keep the Cascade.
Just my $0.02
Yep chaps, not really to style at all and would overpower the noble hops. Remember you're after a German Lager, although the grain bill and extract may trip it up a little anyway, but still worthwhile getting stuck into. AFAIK, anyway... So I'd definitely keep the Cascade for an ale.
BTW, what volume is your stockpot?

Out of all the 'high alpha' or new world hops available, Cascade is probably one of the best. It is consistant and holds up better over tim than most others. However it should not even be mentioned in the same breath as german lager. Any noble hop (arguably) could be used..
The grain the bill is also a tad perplexing..

Brewing good traditional beer in a large part comes down to keeping things simple and executing everthing well. By starting with a simple recipe you have a place to build from.

Using carared, carapils and carafa is out of style and well not leave you with an easy task when trying to analyse and tweak your beer in the future..

mandu

Mash the pilsner and the munich. The munich will give you malty character that will render any crystal redundant.

Hop with all noble hops and make up the difference with the palest malt extract you can.

You want a simple German lager, keep it simple. 2 malts, one hop. Stick with the hallertauer.

Cascade is lovely but not here (unless you want grapefruit flavoured german lager).

Back