Ashes 2013

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I take back everything I ever muttered under my breath about Steve Smith. Hopefully they can set a chase of 400 odd and let the quicks loose on them. As a side note, why is Watson still there?

Watson, I'd imagine, is on a rather juicy contract from the ***. Seems he's an automatic selection these days. When he's good, he's really good but too often he's out of form or injured. Phil Hughes is making runs for SA. Think he deserves another crack.

eungaibitter1 said:
Looks as though watto has found a bit of something.
Something = luck, IMO.

Hope we see the Urn held in the air tonight!

How is the crack? No, not what I am smoking the one in the pitch? Seriously....

Come on boys!

True, being caught in the deep and then carried over the boundary is very lucky.

What was Watsons average in England compared to the rest of the team??

48 or thereabouts. Second to Clarke. He was probably lucky to be in that side too. Having said that, there is the old cricketing adage that says you're only as good as your last knock.

And barring injury, it seems we'll play the same XI for all 5 tests. Consistency is what will bring this side back to the top of world cricket.

Clearly Hughes is the next in. But it would do him some good to spend a few Summers on the outside making runs, much the same as every top line batsman we have had in the last 20 years. Ponting, Hayden, Martyn, S Waugh all got chances as youngsters, then were dropped to improve their games before making a return to the side.

The fact that Watson was never dropped due to poor form means he never felt he had to work on his game. Only on his fitness. Therefore, he still averages 35.93 after 91 innings.

In contrast, Damien Martyn averaged 28.82 after 12 innings. Spent 6 years in the wilderness and came back to improve his average to 46.38 after his 109 innings.

So far Hughes (25yo) averages 32.66 in 49 innings.
Khawaja (27yo today) 25.13 in 17 innings.
Those two have the game to make it back in. And when they do, I predict both will make mountains of runs. But let's hop it's not for a few more years. This current team are playing with the confidence of the old Waugh sides of the late 90s/early 2000s.

Edit: All stats supplied by http://www.howstat.com.au my favourite website right now.

We were away for xmas.. back last night. Looking forward to a relaxing day watching us bowl....

Morning session; Thought, well I might just do a few things around the house.... Took the dogs for a walk down to the river at lunch, in 38 deg. heat. Got back and thought, I will just have a couple of APA's to cool down and then get to work and BAM! 3 quick wickets.

Man, that is what watching test cricket is all about.

No real input on anything important or how Watto is a twat, just turned my day around.

EAB.

[England Are Bad] ;)

Great afternoon session so far. Johnson's run out was fantastic, and congrats to Lyon for getting a tonne of test wickets. Planting my ass firmly on the couchto soak up the last hour or so.

Back