Asahi beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamstringsally

Reaction score
Thinking of trying to put down a beer like Asahi? does anyone have any tips or clone?

cheers

Hammo

Apparently very difficult to do, but plenty have tried. Google Asahi clone for many, many conversations about it.

Methinks it's best to buy your Asahi while trying a few lager recipes until you find something you like just as much.

From Clone Brews,

227 g carahell
800 g rice
2600 g pale malt
450 g rice hulls
mash at 50 deg for 30 min
then 65.5 deg for 60 min

24 g of saaz (3.5 aa) at 60 min
7 g saaz at 15 min

wy3007 at 6-11 deg C

Cheers

Just brew an ale............."what's the problem lager boy afraid you'll taste something' :D

Yep,
Lagers certainly test your brewing skills.
Cheers
Dan

I brewed this recently, came out great. It didn't finish as dry as I'd hoped - FG 1.008.
Lovely yellow colour, refreshing and light for a summer day.

Recipe: Asahi Super Dry
Style: Standard American Lager
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 34.92 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.86 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l
Bottling Volume: 20.30 l
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 6.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 15.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 91.6 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.20 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 1 5.3 %
2.60 kg Pilsner (4.1 EBC) Grain 2 68.4 %
0.75 kg Rice - cooked (1.4 EBC) Grain 3 19.7 %
0.25 kg Carahell (25.0 EBC) Grain 4 6.6 %
20.00 g Saaz (US) [5.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 13.9 IBUs
0.04 oz Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
5.00 g Saaz (US) [5.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 1.7 IBUs
0.07 oz Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 8 -
2L Wyeast 2007 - Pilsen Lager Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.80 kg
----------------------------
Name Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification 63.0 C 90 min
Mash Out 78.0 C 10 min

Notes:
------
Diacetyl rest when SG reaches 1.016-20
(raise to 18C until fermentation has finished, wait 3 days, then crash chill)

So what's the trick to get it drier? Sub 500gm of Pilsner for 300gm of dextrose perhaps?

carniebrew said:
So what's the trick to get it drier? Sub 500gm of Pilsner for 300gm of dextrose perhaps?
I'm not sure to be honest.
Almost all my beers finish a couple of points high.
Using dextrose just seems... like a bandaid.

If you want a dryer beer, then mash at a lower temperature.

carniebrew said:
Throw in one of those little packs of enzyme if you want a "super dry" beer.

mikec said:
<snip>
Using dextrose just seems... like a bandaid.
Don't be afraid to use a little dextrose beers designed to be dry or super pale. The beauty of dextrose in small amounts (i.e. less than 15%) is that it is fully fermentable yet contributes no residual flavour/gravity/colour on your brew, whereas any kind of grain will impart all of those.

I guess everyone's afraid of it after doing an ordinary K&K brew (probably with kit yeast too), but adding something like 300 grams of dextrose to a pale lager along with 3kg of malt would be perfectly acceptable.

Nick JD said:
Throw in one of those little packs of enzyme if you want a "super dry" beer.
That's cheating.

Mash long and low and use more rice. Use a very high diastatic malt like BB Galaxy then you can really load up the adjuncts. Add some white table sugar, that thins it right out.

-=Steve=-

80% weyerman premium pilsner
20% rice

aim for 1.047

mash at 63 for 40min
step to 65 for 30min
mashout 78 (dont dawdle getting to mashout)

keep your l:g ratio low for the entire mash (i.e. under 3:1)

saaz to 20 - 25 ibu

ferment with your favourite attenuative lager yeast
or a kolsch yeast at < 13 degrees will produce a great result and attenuate well

labels said:
That's cheating.

Mash long and low and use more rice. Use a very high diastatic malt like BB Galaxy then you can really load up the adjuncts. Add some white table sugar, that thins it right out.

-=Steve=-
Galaxy barley was bred by BB to produce a malt that would attenuate to low levels. The customer was/is Asahi. The lab testing for fermentation attenuation that BB had to introduce was impressive and extensive. Definitely use Galaxy to produce your clone. I would not use more than 12 to 15% rice adjunct though and mash at 67C and look for a finishing gravity around 2.0 to 2.3 P (1008 to 1009) The rice adjunct will need to fully hydrolysed and converted to achieve the FG.

I also note the myth that Galaxy has a high level of diastase is still around - it is no higher than any other Aussie pale malt. What Galaxy does have is a high level of the enzyme beta glucanase (not to be confused with beta glucans) which can be used to reduce the beta glucans in the mash. You will need a beta glucan rest to accomplish this though.

Wes

labels said:
If you're going to kolsch yeast it's hardly a lager is it
Kolsch yeast fermented at 13....I bet you couldn't pick it as an ale in a lineup of lagers....

labels said:
That's cheating.

-=Steve=-
Buy an Asahi Super Dry, let some go flat n warm and take an SG reading. Get back to me on this "cheating"... ;)

http://www.whitelabs.com/enzymes/Ultra-Ferm.pdf if anyone's interested in making Saaz flavoured soda water.

labels said:
If you're going to kolsch yeast it's hardly a lager is it
lager nazi :)

its ok to be open here,

people wont call you gay just because you use an ale yeast ...

Back