As if I needed another reason to not buy C.U.B. products.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyrebird_Cycles said:
If you are not doing it in the expectation that it will have an effect, you must be doing it because it makes you feel better. We have a name for pleasuring yourself in public.
You left out a third possible motive for posting in this thread. Pretentiousness.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Can I suggest that anyone who has not read Thomas Pickety's "Capital in the 21st Century" disqualify themselves from posting generalisations on the subject of labour economics in this (or any other) thread?

You are welcome to keep displaying your ignorance if you really want, but what's the point?

You are not going to convince the other side of the argument that yours is the one true way.

If you are not doing it in the expectation that it will have an effect, you must be doing it because it makes you feel better. We have a name for pleasuring yourself in public.
Are you suggesting that people without any knowledge on a particular topic should refrain from commenting on said topic until they gain some relevant knowledge? I tip my hat to you sir and whilst I agree wholeheartedly, I must ask......have you met the Internet before?

Camo6 said:
You left out a third possible motive for posting in this thread. Pretentiousness.
I thought I was posting in the "Classic AHB threads" thread.

Camo6 said:
Who knows. We're being fed shit from both sides and no one knows the full story. But bit of a stretch for the spokesperson to mention redundancies when the dismissed employees were offered their old positions back under a new employer.
Well, think about it from an employer's side of things, you've got 55 odd sparkies on your payroll, who do work at a site you've got the contract for. All of a sudden (well not that suddenly in this case, actually), you lose that contract. If you don't have any other work for them to do, their positions are now redundant in your business, if you're still solvent you will need to provide proper redundancy packages for them.

Side note, doing the maths here, if the unions claims are true, that the new positions being offered are a 65% reduction in pay, that would mean even the lowest paying position @ $70k, would have been paid $200k under the old employer. If you're earning that much cash, you must either be pretty shit hot at your job, or have the best luck in the world. If you're really that shit hot, then you shouldn't have any issues finding a new job paying that much again.

another issue they had is that the new contract had a clause that the employer can change the rate of pay at any time without notice.

moonhead said:
Well, think about it from an employer's side of things, you've got 55 odd sparkies on your payroll, who do work at a site you've got the contract for. All of a sudden (well not that suddenly in this case, actually), you lose that contract. If you don't have any other work for them to do, their positions are now redundant in your business, if you're still solvent you will need to provide proper redundancy packages for them.

Side note, doing the maths here, if the unions claims are true, that the new positions being offered are a 65% reduction in pay, that would mean even the lowest paying position @ $70k, would have been paid $200k under the old employer. If you're earning that much cash, you must either be pretty shit hot at your job, or have the best luck in the world. If you're really that shit hot, then you shouldn't have any issues finding a new job paying that much again.
At the end of the day we're just surmising. If we use the etu's inflated figures in the same calculation as cub's inflated figures, we'll have Rupert Murdoch sending in his CV.

Camo6 said:
At the end of the day we're just surmising. If we use the etu's inflated figures in the same calculation as cub's inflated figures, we'll have Rupert Murdoch sending in his CV.
I don't think CUB has said anything on the situation, because, well, they're not really involved... Those salary figures appear to have been sourced by Fairfax from job postings.

moonhead said:
I don't think CUB has said anything on the situation, because, well, they're not really involved... Those salary figures appear to have been sourced by Fairfax from job postings.
Did you read the article you linked?

What they save in this pay dispute would be trivial would think they have future plans for the brewery and production may be heading overseas like so many other jobs
Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines Sara Connor is in Indonesia jail .
Oct 21, 2015 - Believe it: 'Back to the Future' predicted Trump's run

Camo6 said:
Who knows. We're being fed shit from both sides and no one knows the full story. But bit of a stretch for the spokesperson to mention redundancies when the dismissed employees were offered their old positions back under a new employer.
Why? Redundancies have to be offered when a position within a company has been made redundant; if they get poached afterwards by another company that doesn't mitigate that.

Unless of course it happens before they take the redundancy.

Alan Joyce ! are you kidding me ! an example of what ?

An example of how a human being shouldnt turn out like

loco88 said:
Why? Redundancies have to be offered when a position within a company has been made redundant; if they get poached afterwards by another company that doesn't mitigate that.

Unless of course it happens before they take the redundancy.
Bit of a stretch when a cub spokeswoman mentions redundancies when the roles haven't become redundant, just the salaries. Never argued the legality of it (every 'I' would have been dotted, for sure) just the morality.

Camo6 said:
Bit of a stretch when a cub spokeswoman mentions redundancies when the roles haven't become redundant, just the salaries. Never argued the legality of it (every 'I' would have been dotted, for sure) just the morality.
The roles have become redundant though. The company that had the contract lost it, they have no use to keep those roles within their business.

I would love to know if the 54 laid off workers are all still unemployed or has any of them been re-employed else where, it would certainly leave a lot of egg (free range) on the face of those who gave up time for the march through the city.
As moonhead says the contractors were laid off because the contract was terminated, but it would be interesting to know the ins and outs of the cats bottom what has exactly gone on between the contractors, both parties, and CUB.
It really does seem incomprehensible to lay off a group of workers and then offer to re-employ them at a discount rate with another contractor, if they (CUB) were going offshore why not keep everything sweet and announce it to the masses when they were ready to close their doors. Not logical.

Must...stop...posting.

I'm bowing out. We're just arguing semantics here.

As a soon to be dual tradesman coming from one of the worst paid trades into one that recognises my efforts, I can appreciate the value of a unified labour force.

I hope that those that make the effort to post in this thread are never financially affected like these workers have been and for any that may have been, I hope you have come to terms with it and can appreciate how valuable it would be to have someone watching your back.

If you're just posting because you're anti-union, you probably need to get out more.

Once again AHB; this has been a fun thread but it's time I finished my zealous rant and got back to enjoying beer. Thanks for playing everyone.

wide eyed and legless said:
I would love to know if the 54 laid off workers are all still unemployed or has any of them been re-employed else where, it would certainly leave a lot of egg (free range) on the face of those who gave up time for the march through the city.
As moonhead says the contractors were laid off because the contract was terminated, but it would be interesting to know the ins and outs of the cats bottom what has exactly gone on between the contractors, both parties, and CUB.
It really does seem incomprehensible to lay off a group of workers and then offer to re-employ them at a discount rate with another contractor, if they (CUB) were going offshore why not keep everything sweet and announce it to the masses when they were ready to close their doors. Not logical.
Exactly
I was a contractor for a certain large telco for nearly a decade and we went through 3 different contracting companies the whole time I was there
The final one was because they'd decided instead of having about 20 different contracting companies, they were consolidating everything down to a single company
We were given 3 months notice, let go, and subsequently rehired by the new company
We were hired on a lower wage, but with holidays and sick leave

Was I angry at this?
Not at all
These terms were explicitly stated in my contract when I first started, and I always knew it was a possibility
Hell, my contract said we were able to be let go with an hour's notice, the 3 months was a big bonus for those who didn't reapply.
No doubt CUB have had some goings on behind the scenes in this one (there are many other bigger reasons why they're evil in my mind), but the "CUB LET THEIR WORKERS GO, **** THEM" sentiment is a bit stupid in my opinion

Camo if your having a crack at me, I am taking no sides in this one, I do appreciate what unions have done in the past, but you must appreciate that it is what you do that matters, if in the future you start an electrical contracting business you will have your eyes opened from the other side of the fence, the only one who cares about you and your family is you. What has happened at CUB is strange to say the least that is why I would love to know all the ins and outs, definitely going off shore is out of the question.
They are virtually paying no tax, but maybe have seen the writing on the wall that tax time is coming, and are trying to reduce overheads, only CUB knows what the purpose is, none of us will have a clue on here.

wide eyed and legless said:
Camo if your having a crack at me, I am taking no sides in this one, I do appreciate what unions have done in the past, but you must appreciate that it is what you do that matters, if in the future you start an electrical contracting business you will have your eyes opened from the other side of the fence, the only one who cares about you and your family is you. What has happened at CUB is strange to say the least that is why I would love to know all the ins and outs, definitely going off shore is out of the question.
They are virtually paying no tax, but maybe have seen the writing on the wall that tax time is coming, and are trying to reduce overheads, only CUB knows what the purpose is, none of us will have a clue on here.
Never you WEAL. I respect your astuteness. Was typing while you posted is all.

Edit: FINAL POST!

Woo Hoo! They got their jobs back! You can still belt your beer up your arse C.U.B !!

Back