Are You A Sunday Morning Masher?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got up an hour earlier than I expected as the kids had fiddled with my alarm .

the Mash was in by 8 oclock and I was finished read for a swim at 11.30 the sparge went super , only a simple bitter not even a boil over .

I always feel like I have had a good weekend with 40 litres of wort in the No Chill cubes .will get up early on Monday morning and get it fermenting .

To quote a stirring line from Braveheart

"They can take away our land, burn our homes, but they can never take away our MASHTUN!"

Or words to that effect

Pumpy :)

Sorry to hear of your disaster nOOch & hope it never nappens to me. That must be a PITA. :(

Not a Sunday morning masher ATM Pumpy as I put down a double batch of Scottish (Two different yeasts) on Friday & a batch of Belgian Wit yesterday.
More like a Sunday Kegger right now as I'm about to start kegging a Smoked Schwarzer & my Christmas Cake Fruit Beer. :icon_drool2:
Nice quote Pumpy. :D

TP :beer:

Friday morning masher here. I set up on Thursday while the kid's at kindy. Wake up on Friday morning to a preheated HLT, mash in. Take kid to kindy, all done by lunch time. A couple of hours free before I do the kindy pickup. Brilliant.

Friday morning masher here. I set up on Thursday while the kid's at kindy. Wake up on Friday morning to a preheated HLT, mash in. Take kid to kindy, all done by lunch time. A couple of hours free before I do the kindy pickup. Brilliant.

Nice, unfortunately work hours for me (6am-4:30) take away most weekday stuff. I may bottle and transfer from cube to fermenter during the week but thats it.
It's weekend time for brewing, and usually either earlier or later so I also get time with the family.

Time to transfer to the cube.....

Currently doing partials. I'm an afternoon man and like to sup an ale or three to accompany the activities. I'm about to start a minimash as I only have one kilo of grain at the moment until I order in from Ross on Wednesday.

Fake Pils (I call it my Pilsenale!)

1 kilo Pom lager malt
300g carapils
Coopers original lager
1 kilo LDME

Green bullet flowers
Saaz flowers for flavouring
Saaz flowers for aroma

Nottingham yeast

If I start now I should have finished the boil in the stockpot by around 5.30, mix up the kit and kilo, mix with the chilled water currently in 10L cubes in the fridge.

Get the Notto bottle going like a little volcano. Finish the jug and start on the next one :beerbang:

Pitch

Have pub dreams all night :lol: :lol:

EDIT: bonus !!! weighed the bag and I've actually got 2 kilos of malt left. This is going to be a wee ripper, aye.

I brew at any of these times:
Sunday afternoon, all day Monday, all day Wednesday, all day Friday, all day Saturday.
Tuesday and Thursday are golf days.
I no longer need to concern myself with dragging myself off to please the boss man/woman.

Pumpy, you're slipping. I'd have thought you could have made another Poll out of this one.

Normally a Saturday or Sunday morning. Normally doughed in by 6am which leaves a nice afternoon in the pool, at the beach or down the pub.

I'm generally a Saturday morning masher and try to have the wort in the cube by lunchtime. No chill overnight and pitch first thing Sunday morning.

Last brew was a Sunday morning, which meant I had to wait until Monday after work to pitch the yeast. I'm behind nearly 12 hours on my schedule!

Normally doughed in by 6am which leaves a nice afternoon in the pool, at the beach or down the pub.

******* :( Normally finished by lunch and the closest thing to water would be watering the garden.

BYB

Firstly comiserations to N00ch.

Partials I can squeeze in any evening after work. But today I am currently waiting on a (partial mash) nut brown ale to cool in the sink waterbath. Then into the fermenter with yeast...

So essentailly, cricket on Sat, Beer on sunday (partials) for sure... but not usually till the arvo...

Cheers. :p

Forget this morning thing. Nothing like firing the mill up at 1:30 in the arvo. 7-8 o'clock, chilling the brew (when it's cool and not in the hottest part of the day) or turn it into a double brew and be cleaning up at 11 o'clock at night. Nothing like the sound of the NASA roaring in the evening :D

As I get older the hangover and recovery from brew day seems to take a full day. Or perhaps it is due to the amount of the beer we drink at brew day.

Saturday is brew day for me, if I tried Sunday, Monday at work would be lower productivity than usual.

As I get older the hangover and recovery from brew day seems to take a full day. Or perhaps it is due to the amount of the beer we drink at brew day.

Saturday is brew day for me, if I tried Sunday, Monday at work would be lower productivity than usual.
Agree, Im a saturday 7am starter,Brew then work on drinking brews from months ago.Did one yesterday it was 38C in the shed at boil time (90mins).
GB

The stockmaket is crashed the banking system is broken ,the superannuation is stuffed but..........

Mashing early on a Sunday morning ,

watching the sun grab the horizon with both hands an pull itself up into a crimson sunrise,

Is one of the true pleasures in life ,that cannot be taken away from the true Craft brewer .

Are you a Sunday morning masher ?

Pumpy :)

Yes I am :icon_cheers:

Missed this thread Sunday morning, cause I was busy making beer :beerbang:

I'm normally a weekend brewer, but sometimes like a bit of mid-week brewing after work, but only if I get home early enough.

I also like an early start, but today I have the day (and the remainder of the week) off, so I have no real schedule. Just brew and mow the yard before Wednesday.

I'm heating brew water now (on the stove), just made a loaf of bread and sank a cuppa tea.
Hope to rack two brews today (maybe three) which are Wit, Am Amber and UK ESB in that order.

Dampfbier today and Grand Cru tomorrow.

Off to Melbourne on Wednesday. I told you I have the week off! ;) :D

Big respect to N00ch's lost brew. It's spirit will enhance the next 5 brews, or until you get complacent. :lol:

Mashed in at 4:00am yesterday morning ( Sunday )

Rook

I start with the daylight on a Saturday.This leaves plenty of time later to taste test earlier brews.

I am NOT a morning person. I generally start at around 11ish, depends on the time I wake up and when my brewinig assistants turn up (I normally have at least one friend turn up on brewday, it's nice to brew with another person)

I am NOT a morning person. I generally start at around 11ish, depends on the time I wake up and when my brewinig assistants turn up (I normally have at least one friend turn up on brewday, it's nice to brew with another person)

I must say I'm exactly the same! I usually have doughed-in before my mates arrive though... "11am is too early" pffft...

:beer:

Back