Apple / Fruit Presses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What sort of quantities are you going to be making? I would suggest the one in the link is maybe a bit overpriced for what it is. 5.3l would be the pommace volume which roughly means you will be getting 3l per press. My suggestion would be to build your own. Take a look at some of my photos on here for some ideas. That cost me $300 to get someone to build it - if you can weld you are laughing. Plus, half the fun is seeing what sort of crazy contraption you can come up with the get the juice out!

The press bit bit is the hardest. I have seen one made with 4x2 hardwood and an upside down hydraulic jack. The basket was a heavy duty bucket with holes drilled in it. Ugly but effective.

They are for grapes and then only in small quantities. Not very good for apples.

Have a look on the ibrew website for some real presses which will press apples.

There are many plans to make your own press on cider internet sites.

there are heaps of videos and on and articles about making presses and scratters. some hardwood, bolts and glue, plus a car jack will get you a press capable of some real pressure. Just for example here's one i had bookmarked a while ago:

http://www.atomicshrimp.com/st/content/cider_press

If you want to spend a bit more money, the hydropresses are good, good yield and easy to use. You would need to be doing a few hundred litres a year to be worth the cost - around $1500. Then there are bigger presses like the voran press, with hydraulic motors.

Latest posts

Back