Apa With Lme Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyelusion

Reaction score
I have a APA Kit here and a Morgans unhopped extra pale Malt Extract (1.5kg)
I was told to use the malt instead of BE2 (1kg).
Is this correct and will just using these be any good?

I've currently only been using coopers kits with coopers sugars.
And sometimes adding a cascade hop teabag.

thx in advance

I have a APA Kit here and a Morgans unhopped extra pale Malt Extract (1.5kg)
I was told to use the malt instead of BE2 (1kg).
Is this correct and will just using these be any good?

I've currently only been using coopers kits with coopers sugars.
And sometimes adding a cascade hop teabag.

thx in advance
Hi & welcome to the forums.

That malt should be fine (i.e. just the APA can and the malt), and I'd recommend moving onwards & upwards from just plain BE brews. It will probably end up with a slightly higher initial gravity reading with 1.5kg of malt extract, don't let that worry you, just be sure it is stable for two or three days at the end before you bottle it. If you don't have a hydrometer, go get one as its one of the most useful tools for home brewing.

And a fine choice of hops with that APA can, I presume you just steep it as per the instructions? That works just fine.

It could be better still with another ale yeast like S-04 or Nottingham if you can get it where you are (any half- decent LHBS should have at least one of these strains in their fridge), and of course if you've got temperature control it makes a big difference. Aim for less than 20degC, 18 would be grand.

Good luck! :icon_cheers:

It may end up too sweet with all that extra malt, the APA can is 18IBU for memory?

I have used pride of ringwood to add 10IBU in a short boil and found this kit to be quite drinkable.

S-04, Notto, or even better Coopers yeast from stubby... they will all yield good results!

Cheers

Yes i do have a hydrometer and I do use it.
I'll give this a try and see how it goes.
And yup I just use the teabag as instructed on the pack (though this time I might just see how the APA and malt go).
If I go near a home brew shop in the next couple of days Ill get some S-04, if not I'll just use the kit stuff.
And keeping the temp down... well I'll try.
ATM Sydney weathers a little cooler and I suppose the use of a wet towel may help. I don't have a old fridge or anything like that. Just the back room where the missus doesn't mind me brewing. :)

Thx for the quick replies

Excellent, Eyelusion! You're well on the right track, IMO.

Apropos seemax's qry will it be too sweet with that much malt extract, the Cooper's APA can comes as 340IBU raw, so 340IBU/kg *1.7kg / 23litres ~= 25IBU. Remembering too that there are different methods for working this out, however that's the one I've been using. To answer the question, I'd do it, but that's just me and my personal preferences.
In fact, I've recently done one with just 1.25kg light dried malt extract and it is reasonably ok, it would be quite similar to what Eyelusion is doing with this proposed brew. [Has another sip...] Yep, it passes! There's a reasonable malt/bitterness balance, I was light on with the hops, but I feel this can needs some steeped hops at either secondary or a few days before bottling if it is just done in primary.
A friend suggested that there's a slight purfume about it that is a tad undesirable, I agree and more flavour and aroma hops do knock it out, so keep that in mind. It does get a bit expensive though with teabags (here they're 5 clams a piece, for a measly 12g), so I'd suggest getting a bigger pack of Cascade for this operation (some suppliers will sell you a 90g pack for less than 10 clams, plus postage).
Let us know Eyelusion if you need info on how to get the extra hops into it, there's a few different ways. Oh stuff it, I've got nothing much better to do, so here goes:

1) Boiling method: Boil up about 4 litres of water with 400g of the malt extract (not the APA can), throw in say 15g of Cascade (or another flavour hop- suggestions welcome of course, and seemax's PoR would be good here), leave to slowly boil, i.e. just rolling, after 15 minutes throw in another 15g of Cascade and allow to continue to boil for another 5 minutes, so it has been 20 minutes since you added your first hop addition. Depending on your hop strength (%alpha acids) his should add another 6 or so IBUs, so it'll still quite OK in my books and well worth it. While this boiling is happening, tip the APA tin and remaining malt extract into your fermenter, when your boil is finished, use it to rinse the cans into the fermenter, but remember to keep it all scrupulously clean, once all the malt and boil is in the fermenter, stir it well with a well- sanitised spoon/ stirring stick to dissolve it all. Add cold water to make up to your 23 litres, ferment & then bottle as usual.

2) Steeping method: Put your brew on as you have done before, you'll need a fair bit of hot water to dissolve the two tins of goop though. Let it ferment as usual, when you think the specific gravity readings are getting close to stable, steep at least 20g of Cascade in about half a litre of boiling water in a well- sanitised coffee plunger or similar, let it sit for half an hour, open up the fermenter, tip it in, close it up, bottle when ready as usual. Steeping is a good opportunity to add gelatine finings as well, that APA can and malt will probably benefit from it if you appreciate clarity in pales. If you do this though, make sure you dissolve the gelatine well before the adding the hops, or just do them seperately. I've tipped one of these combined hop/gelatine brews into the fermentrer before and then discovered most of it stuck to the bottom of the plunger. :angry:

If the loose hops in the fermenter bother you, put them in either a hopbag or a piece of nylon stocking, either in the boil or the steep. I put my brews into secondary most of the time, the majority of the hop debris is settled out before bottling, particularly with the coffee plunger method and gelatine finings. You could even do both methods on the one brew, it would be pretty hoppy, but whatever floats your boat!

The wet teatowel will help, so will a few frozen bottles of water placed around under it if it warms back up much there in the big smoke.

Anyway, damn- there's another epic essay. Sorry about that folks, a thousand pardons... Drop us a line if you have any problems or questions, Eyelusion.

I would go with Rdevjan's boiling method for the extra malt with this kit. The advice is good.

I have done one of these with 400 grams of LDME and 700 of dex in the past. It turned out well but a bit thin for me. And I know what his friend means by the slight perfume smell. I did mine with US-05 ale yeast.

If you go with the all malt and do the boil method I as suggested I reckon the results will be quite good particularly with the cascade... maybe I will try this with my upcoming demo brew. It would also go well with Amarillo, Galaxy or whatever you please.

Try to keep the ferment temp between 18 and 20 C and all will be good.

Cheers
Gavo.

Excellent, Eyelusion! You're well on the right track, IMO.

Apropos seemax's qry will it be too sweet with that much malt extract, the Cooper's APA can comes as 340IBU raw, so 340IBU/kg *1.7kg / 23litres ~= 25IBU. Remembering too that there are different methods for working this out, however that's the one I've been using. To answer the question, I'd do it, but that's just me and my personal preferences.
In fact, I've recently done one with just 1.25kg light dried malt extract and it is reasonably ok, it would be quite similar to what Eyelusion is doing with this proposed brew. [Has another sip...] Yep, it passes! There's a reasonable malt/bitterness balance, I was light on with the hops, but I feel this can needs some steeped hops at either secondary or a few days before bottling if it is just done in primary.
A friend suggested that there's a slight purfume about it that is a tad undesirable, I agree and more flavour and aroma hops do knock it out, so keep that in mind. It does get a bit expensive though with teabags (here they're 5 clams a piece, for a measly 12g), so I'd suggest getting a bigger pack of Cascade for this operation (some suppliers will sell you a 90g pack for less than 10 clams, plus postage).
Let us know Eyelusion if you need info on how to get the extra hops into it, there's a few different ways. Oh stuff it, I've got nothing much better to do, so here goes:

1) Boiling method: Boil up about 4 litres of water with 400g of the malt extract (not the APA can), throw in say 15g of Cascade (or another flavour hop- suggestions welcome of course, and seemax's PoR would be good here), leave to slowly boil, i.e. just rolling, after 15 minutes throw in another 15g of Cascade and allow to continue to boil for another 5 minutes, so it has been 20 minutes since you added your first hop addition. Depending on your hop strength (%alpha acids) his should add another 6 or so IBUs, so it'll still quite OK in my books and well worth it. While this boiling is happening, tip the APA tin and remaining malt extract into your fermenter, when your boil is finished, use it to rinse the cans into the fermenter, but remember to keep it all scrupulously clean, once all the malt and boil is in the fermenter, stir it well with a well- sanitised spoon/ stirring stick to dissolve it all. Add cold water to make up to your 23 litres, ferment & then bottle as usual.

2) Steeping method: Put your brew on as you have done before, you'll need a fair bit of hot water to dissolve the two tins of goop though. Let it ferment as usual, when you think the specific gravity readings are getting close to stable, steep at least 20g of Cascade in about half a litre of boiling water in a well- sanitised coffee plunger or similar, let it sit for half an hour, open up the fermenter, tip it in, close it up, bottle when ready as usual. Steeping is a good opportunity to add gelatine finings as well, that APA can and malt will probably benefit from it if you appreciate clarity in pales. If you do this though, make sure you dissolve the gelatine well before the adding the hops, or just do them seperately. I've tipped one of these combined hop/gelatine brews into the fermentrer before and then discovered most of it stuck to the bottom of the plunger. :angry:

If the loose hops in the fermenter bother you, put them in either a hopbag or a piece of nylon stocking, either in the boil or the steep. I put my brews into secondary most of the time, the majority of the hop debris is settled out before bottling, particularly with the coffee plunger method and gelatine finings. You could even do both methods on the one brew, it would be pretty hoppy, but whatever floats your boat!

The wet teatowel will help, so will a few frozen bottles of water placed around under it if it warms back up much there in the big smoke.

Anyway, damn- there's another epic essay. Sorry about that folks, a thousand pardons... Drop us a line if you have any problems or questions, Eyelusion.

GREAT
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
I'll give the boiling method a go... i can't wait :)
and yeah I'll be trying to keep the ferment temp between 18 and 20 C
Once done and bottled I'll wait 3 weeks, crack one open, and I'll report back and let you know how it all went.
Cheers all

It does get a bit expensive though with teabags (here they're 5 clams a piece, for a measly 12g), so I'd suggest getting a bigger pack of Cascade for this operation (some suppliers will sell you a 90g pack for less than 10 clams, plus postage).

Not only is it more cost effective but the flavour/aroma result will be far superior.

Latest posts

Back