Anyone Remember Bulimba Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched an old movie called 'age of consent'. It stars Helen mirren as a teenager and they down quite a few bulimba draught beers and xxxx but they never used either brand name. It was set in 1969 and also shows Brisbane and TAA amongst other things.

I have this movie and will need to look that up. Although these sorts of beers are way before my time (although i do vaguely recolect the colour and design of some of the cans...must have seen some of them as a kid around the house) its pretty cool to see the history of beer and what has happened to their recipes etc.

Just out of interest to those that have seen the movie 'age of consent' its worth noting that much of this film was shot in FNQld (tully/mission beach area) and the reason i have it is because it was recommend to me many years ago by my late grandfather who was a grip/extra on the set. If you watch the film there is a scene when the main character is taking a phone call in a general purpose store....the owner of the store is hand cutting bacon (brings back memories for some of you guys i'm sure). During this scene a very tall and very tanned gentleman walks across the scene carrying a side of bacon over his shoulder. That man is my grandfather.

Funnilly enough my grandfather was a pretty legendary drinker and while he was mostly a XXXX man im sure he put away some bulimba bitter in his time....and if it was in that movie and on set...i bet he put some of it away during filming at that!

I got a carton of Bulimba Gold Tops from Dans just before Christmas... never again. I can see why the stopped making it. :icon_vomit: I'd rather drink VB :icon_vomit:

QldKev

<<snip>>
For starters you know what, I'd try US-05 but ferment cool at around 17 degrees, give a good long cold crash of about 2 weeks, fine well and use Polyclar.

4000 Pale Pilsener Malt

66 degrees 90 minutes

25g Superpride 90 minutes (not POR as you want the background bitterness not any hop aroma)

800g white sugar into the fermenter

US-05
<<snip>>

I agree with the basis of that recipe from my tasting of the beer, definitely an ale base. Only changes I would drop back the Superpride to about half of that, and up the malt a bit and drop the sugar to 500g.

edit: and vomit into the fermentor to get the real taste going.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back