Anyone Know Anything About Pool Pumps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinw

Reaction score
Happy New Year!

I have just replaced the pump and filter on my 20,000 litre above ground pool. The new system is a Zodiac cartridge filter with a 400kw (1/2 HP) Onga Leisuretime LTP400 pump.

The problem I have is that the pump gets very noisy - loud buzzing noise - when the pressure in the system rises much above 60 kPa. As the filter gets dirtier and the pressure rises above 80 kPa the noise becomes quite objectionable and carries for a long distance.

The max rated pressure for the cartridge filter is 150 kPa, and the max working pressure for the pump is 175 kPa. I am running at nowhere near these values.

I experimented and turned on the system with the cartridge out, so it was running at about 40 kPa. At that pressure the pump purrs almost silently with no buzzing noise at all. Blocking the outflow into the pool with my hand shows that as the pressure goes above 60 kPa the pump gets increasingly noisy.

Does anyone on here have experience with pool pumps? Is this noise normal, or do I have a defective unit?

Another possiblity that occurs to me is that have I inadvertently created a length of pipe between the pump & filter which vibrates at a harmonic of the pump's oscillation and thus amplifies the noise.

This is driving me batty. The system works really well, good flow and filters effectively, it is just too damn noisy and I'm worried someone will complain.

cheers,
Colin

Your thread topic got me intrigued... in a weird way.

aboutpoo.JPG

:rolleyes:

Colin,

If your pump gets noisey when the filter is dirty it could be that it is too small for the filter.

But unfortunately it could be any of a number causes, from as you say a defective unit, the pump is undersized for the filter, the pump needs to be secured to a concrete pad, the pipe work is vibrating and thus vibrating back through to the pump.

Where abouts is the pump in relation to the swimming pool? It could be that it is too low and is working overtime pushing too much water up hill without the filter being dirty, but when it does get dirty it works even harder.

It could also be the pump bearings

Sorry for no definitive answers you may also checkout the following:

http://www.poolcenter.com/pumps1.htm

Brownie

You could also get onto a pool shop

Latest posts

Back