Any Recommendations For German "beer Tourism"?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxymoo

Reaction score
I'm going to a conference in Heidelberg in a few weeks, and I've got a day and a night to kill beforehand. My flight is into Amsterdam, and I'm taking the train down. Does anyone have a recommendation for a beer-related stopover on the way?

I'm going to a conference in Heidelberg in a few weeks, and I've got a day and a night to kill beforehand. My flight is into Amsterdam, and I'm taking the train down. Does anyone have a recommendation for a beer-related stopover on the way?

Frankenheim Alt in Dusseldorf
Peters Kolsh in Cologne
Krombacher pils
Veltins Pils

I second Dusseldorf, while not the prettiest of German cities. It has some charm and great alt breweries. Just a shame its got to be on the way down from Amsterdam. Otherwise I would be pointing you directly to Bamberg.

Whats the hurry to get to old Deutschland?
The tulips are spectacular this time of year in Holland you know.
I'd be sinking a few pints of Grolsch, grabbing a pocket full of cookies from the coffee shop, hiring a pushie and wobbling off in search of a flower festival.
But that's not for everyone I guess..

I'd be sinking a few pints of Grolsch, grabbing a pocket full of cookies from the coffee shop, hiring a pushie and wobbling off in search of a flower festival.
But that's not for everyone I guess..

yeah most head off to the van gogh museum instead of the flower festival...(especially since it would be a spring festival as well...not autumn)

yeah most head off to the van gogh museum instead of the flower festival...(especially since it would be a spring festival as well...not autumn)

I'd be sinking a few pints of absinthe grabbing a pocket full of cookies from the coffee shop, hiring a pushie and wobbling off in search of a flower festival.
and cutting my ear off.

fixed.

haha thanks for the advice, yes the grolsch on tap in holland was pretty yum the last time i was there but yeah i do kind of have my heart set on seeing something of germany -- dusseldorf it is! :D

I'd be sinking a few pints of absinthe grabbing a pocket full of cookies from the coffee shop, hiring a pushie and wobbling off in search of a flower festival.
and cutting my ear off.

fixed.

nah...cookies are a must for the van gogh museum! B)
joint.gif

cheers, cologne's also on the way, will def stop there to !

You can't go too far wrong. You could go to the local supermarket in Germany and still be in beer heaven compared to here!

IMG_0071.gif

"prost" guys
spent a very enjoyable arvo in dusseldorf :)

it was a sunday, so schlssel was closed but i made to the other four. Uerige (the photo) was by far the busiest and most touristy ... the waiters were filling tray after tray of beer directly out of the barrels ! but i didn't like the beer so much, i thought it had a kind of 'thin' and harsh bitterness (is the the altbier style?).

my favourite was krzer, by far the most balanced in my opinion, the harshness was toned down, there was a more pronounced maltiness. schumacher was also very good (the oldest of the breweries i visited i believe).

well i'll have to brew an alt when i get home!

Seems like you had a top afternoon. Whilst Uerige is a little touresty, it does have the best altbier. My favourite is the Rot Fuch. It's heavily localized and just outside the altstadt, but has a great atmosphere.

Back