Any Gluten Free Beer Recipe's?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwisteveo

Reaction score
its not my choice but the missus's dad has become one of those gluten free freaks and wants me to make him gluten free beer for him,looked on the recipe db but naturally couldn't see any so does anyone have any ideas/recipes for the freaks who can't have gluten in their diet.

Hey mate, I'm a celiac and have a blog with my GF brewing experiences so far. Check it out

http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/

Keep all the Gluten Free brewing gear seperate, don't risk cross contamination. Hit me up via pm if you have any questions.

Hey mate, I'm a celiac and have a blog with my GF brewing experiences so far. Check it out

http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/

Keep all the Gluten Free brewing gear seperate, don't risk cross contamination. Hit me up via pm if you have any questions.

Spaced,

I've a mate who is unfortunatly coelaic and has been on me to try and make a GF brew for him. Blog looks great BTW.
Were do you get your Sorghum Extract from? Looked through the sponsors but seems there is none there. Malting my own Millet would be great but your brews look very easy so I might start there.

Drew

I heard somewhere (one of the many brewing podcasts) that too much Sorghum gives a metallic taste.
Have you experienced this at all Spaced?

G&G definitely has (or has had) sorghum extract. Give them a call and if they don't have it, I'd be sure they could have it ordered.

sap.

Found it. Yes G&G do stock it. Link. Writing was to small for my fuzzy eyes.

Drew

Spaced,

I've a mate who is unfortunatly coelaic and has been on me to try and make a GF brew for him. Blog looks great BTW.
Were do you get your Sorghum Extract from? Looked through the sponsors but seems there is none there. Malting my own Millet would be great but your brews look very easy so I might start there.

Drew

Brewers Choice and Craft Brewer, both should ship to wherever you are. I know Ross is on this forum and he said that one of his workers, Andrew, knows a fair bit about gluten free brewing.

I'm sticking to the really easy recipes for now, until I've got a few batches behind me. I've had great success with S-33 and WB-06 Fermentis Yeast, although the whole fermentis range is gluten free.

I heard somewhere (one of the many brewing podcasts) that too much Sorghum gives a metallic taste.
Have you experienced this at all Spaced?

Ok this is the weird thing. I spend a lot of time on homebrewtalk, due to them having such a large gluten free brewing base. They're based in the states and I hear from lots of them about this twang. However I'm yet to have this issues with my beers brewed with sorghum only. Also they use lots of brown rice syrup and have good results, but the two times I tried to use brown rice malt from coles the beer was really sour and horrid.

This recipe by Dkershner http://brew.dkershner.com/2009/gluten-free-tripel-blonde/ is really easy and althought not super complex, makes a great session beer. On that podcast you mentioned the lady from high gravity brew in the US said belgian yeasts produce all the flavour in belgian beers. So if you like belgian beers, you'll be happy with GF belgians.

Also, this is the pod cast you were talking about http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio

Head retention for my beers has been non existant so far, but it's not something I'm working on yet.

Feel free to send me any beers for review. I won't complain :)

Razz is spot on. Milletman (O'Brien's Brewery Ballarat) has a bunch of posts on AHB and is a guru on this. Search threads with his name and you'll get a bunch of stuff. Some of his threads were so interesting it got me thinking about tinkering with a range of different GF ingredients - and I'm not even intolerant to it.

Hopper.

+1 for Millet Man. I've been GF brewing for 4yrs now and Millet man certainly knows his stuff and is very generous with his advice.

Jay

QUOTE (Bitter & Twisted @ May 18 2009, 10:40 PM) Hey I've been trawling around for GF recipes and most of the "usual" sites seem to have removed all of the nice homebrewing info.

Does anybody have a proven recipe for a sorghum-based wit?

cheers,
B&T
Hi B&T,

Here's recipe I had posted on oz craftbeer a few years back - it was a ripper!

Swap your sorghum malt for the fermentables and away you go, I've never done a wit with sorghum before but it should work fine.

Cheers, Andrew.

Recipe Swap : id 55
Use the "Contact" button to send an email message to the Brewer to request further information or to give feedback.
Category: 14. GLUTEN FREE
Style: Belgian Wit
Recipe Name: Buckwit
Brewer's Name: Andrew Lavery
Brewing Method: Partial Mash
Starting Gravity: 1.048
Ending Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol (w/w%): 5.2%
Bitterness (IBU): 18
Colour (SRM): 2-3 ish
Specification Comments: A reasonably good copy of the style, and damn easy to drink a lot of, my house beer
Size of Batch: 23
Batch Size Unit: Liters
Extract Efficiency: 70%
Fermentables:
1.5kg Buckwheat pilsener malt
1.5kg Millet pilsener malt
1.5kg Pure Harvest Rice Syrup
0.5kg CSR Golden Syrup (other brands have salt added)
Hop Additions:
30g Goldings 4.5%AA 60 min
10g Goldings 4.5%AA 15 min
Wort Preparation:
Mash grains with 12lt of water
Hold at 60C for 15 min
Syphon off 3lt of enzyme liquid and let it cool to around 40C
Add 3lt of boiling water to mash and raise temp to 85C for 30 min
Add enzyme liquid, 3lt of chilled water and 0.6kg of rice hulls
Hold at 63C for 90 min, heat to 70C for 30 min
Start sparge at 75C and transfer to lauter tun
Collect about 18lt and cut runnings at 1.010
Boiling and Cooling:
Add rice syrup and golden syrup
Add water to a pre-boil volume of about 28lt
Boil for about 90 min
0.5 tablet of irish moss at 15 min for end
Cool to about 20-25C after boil
Other Additions:
50g Dried pink grapefruit peel 15 min
30g Coriander seeds (crushed) 15 min
2g Cardomom pods (10 pods) 15 min
10g Freshly grated ginger root, boiled with priming sugar (strained out)
Yeast Information:
Fermentis Safale K-97
Fermentation Details:
Sprinkle yeast and aerate for 90 min
Primary ferment for 7-8 days at 20C
Secondary ferment for 2 days at 20C
Other Brewing Information: All water pre-boiled to get rid of chlorination
Prime with 210g of dextrose (maize based)
Target 6.5 g/lt of CO2
Competition Results:
Scored 124/150 at Beerfest 2005 which I am extremely happy with considering the beer was past it's prime by then

Now drinking recipe as above, very nice indeed.
Sorry for posting in this way, but it isn't the easiest on a phone browser.

Jay

Hi GFJ, I've never come accross the K-97 yeast, must not be as popular anymore or something. I really enjoyed WB-06 when I used it, but it's only been the once.

And did you make these or buy these?

1.5kg Buckwheat pilsener malt
1.5kg Millet pilsener malt

This site http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/2011/05/...er-brewing.html has some interesting looking extract and partial recipes. Not tried any myself. Sorghum extract is like hens teeth in the UK.

Good luck

Jay

Hi Jay, I suggest having a chat to a few different home brew suppliers in your area, and a little bit futher. If you still have no luck, look for a cheap grain to use to malt yourself. People have good success with millet and quiona.

Hi spaced,

I malt my own millet, sorghum and buckwheat from scratch... a bit of a labour of love, but altimately the commercial GF offerings are pretty dreadful. Pilsen'ish malts are relatively straight forward as they require only a food dehydrator for drying and curing. I can recommend Millet Mans article on home malting. I only discovered it recently and his advice is very sound... only wish I had that info when I started.

The Buckwit recipe above by Andrew ( millet Man) was recommended for someone using sorghum extract. I would guess that would lend a different character, but still be good. I'll drag out my notes, but I made a few modifications. I pretty sure I used the brewferm blanche yeast as the fermentis K-97 is only available it seems in 100gm packs as far as I could find. I used flaked rice instead of syrup as well. Otherwise mostly as the recipe states. It worked fine, apart from a very slow sparge. I managed the stated targets bar a few points, so added a little extra golden syrup to compensate.

Subtle spice, very refreshing... a good summer drink.

Have tried various routes for sorghum malt, seems to be a common problem in the UK according to threads on other forums. I might be able to find a EU supplier. The other route may be through a store that supplies the African community. Rice malt is pretty pricey here at about 12 a KG thus the flaked rice at about a quarter of the price.

Cheers

Jay

Hi GFJ, I've never come accross the K-97 yeast, must not be as popular anymore or something. I really enjoyed WB-06 when I used it, but it's only been the once.
K-97 (German ale) was the only "specialty" dry ale yeast back then - most likely a Kolsch yeast.

I'd probably pick T-58 for it's spicy character if I did it again now but it's not the greatest attenuator so WB-06 could be an option.

I'm looking at doing a seasonal 400 carton batch later this year of a more craft oriented style of gluten free beer and a wit or IPA are on my short list ....

Cheers, Andrew.

I am new to the Aussie Home Brewer forum. I am a GF brewer in the United States. I just formulated my first GF home brew and when it finishes carbonation, I will crack a bottle open and post my recipe (hopefully decently drinkable) on this forum. I really appreciate all of Millet Man's advice and articles. I spent 8 hours doing a partial mash recipe with malted quinoa and oat along with peaches and sorghum syrup. The beer is bottled and tastes nothing like peaches, but I can safely say it has a decent mouthfeel. My hubby and I have been homebrewing for years, but I just recently found I cannot use barley malt. Hence the forray into gluten free brews. I ended up on this forum because we really don't have a lot of GF home brews in the States- both recipes and commerical brands that are worth a flip.

I am starting to formulate my next recipe and I plan to reduce the sorghum syrup and increase the malted grains. I have three problems I need help with:

1. Has anyone been happy with replacing the sorghum with brown rice syrup? How does it affect the final product?

2. I am having a devil of a time sprouting millet. The quinoa and amaranth sprouts fabulously. The buckwheat makes me want to puke and I am holding off on that one. I really want to do some millet, but we only have unhulled millet available here. I am still searching for a source of hulled millet. Does it matter?

3. Has anyone used amalyze to break down the grains? I used Millet Man's method of decoction and addition in my last batch and it seemed to work fine. I am just toying with the benefit or not of adding amalyze enzymes to the wort since the grains I am using are not like barley and wheat.

Thanks for the help and feedback in advance!

The rice syrup we have here has zero protein whereas the sorghum syrup has a normal amount of protein so using rice instead will reduce head retention (sorghum syrup is not so great with head retention to begin with).

You definitely want unhulled millet and I find it sprouts very easily as long as the temperature is between 20-30C, any cooler and it won't sprout.

Added enzymes will help make up for malt that is not quite right if you can get them and make sure they are fungal rather than barley based enzymes.

Cheers, Andrew.
I am starting to formulate my next recipe and I plan to reduce the sorghum syrup and increase the malted grains. I have three problems I need help with:

1. Has anyone been happy with replacing the sorghum with brown rice syrup? How does it affect the final product?

2. I am having a devil of a time sprouting millet. The quinoa and amaranth sprouts fabulously. The buckwheat makes me want to puke and I am holding off on that one. I really want to do some millet, but we only have unhulled millet available here. I am still searching for a source of hulled millet. Does it matter?

3. Has anyone used amalyze to break down the grains? I used Millet Man's method of decoction and addition in my last batch and it seemed to work fine. I am just toying with the benefit or not of adding amalyze enzymes to the wort since the grains I am using are not like barley and wheat.

Thanks for the help and feedback in advance!

The rice syrup we have here has zero protein whereas the sorghum syrup has a normal amount of protein so using rice instead will reduce head retention (sorghum syrup is not so great with head retention to begin with).

You definitely want unhulled millet and I find it sprouts very easily as long as the temperature is between 20-30C, any cooler and it won't sprout.

Added enzymes will help make up for malt that is not quite right if you can get them and make sure they are fungal rather than barley based enzymes.

Cheers, Andrew.

Andrew thanks for the reply.

I just brewed a partial mash batch of GF pale ale. Half of my grain bill was sorghum syrup. The other half was quinoa and oat malts. The sorghum was very strong. I also threw in some peaches and maltodextrin. The bittering hops were perle and the aroma, flavor and dry hops were cascade. I just bottled it. If it is decent, I will post my recipe on the forum.

Good to know about the protein content of the brown rice and sorghum syrups. Definitely makes a difference. I am still learning the chemistry of brewing. I will probably not use any additional enzymes to keep out any gluten ingredients. I did a decoction based on your beer brewing article and I think it definitely helped preserve the enzymes.

I have about a pound of unhulled millet hopefully sprouting, based on your suggestions.

My goal is to brew a good GF beer using standard equipment and a partial mash. Something the average hobbyist can be successful at. I know to really get into it I will need to invest in more equipment, but I want to try to create the best partial mash recipe I can before I make the cash investment.

My first GF beer prior to bottling tasted like an American Ale (cascade hops) version of Bards. That was pretty much what I was shooting for. Once it carbonates, I will do a full review and see what I have created. I will post it on the forum as I know I am not the only one out there in search of a decent, reasonably priced GF home brew beer. My cost is about $6.98 a six pack, which is cheaper than Bards and way cheaper than Greens. Those two, and Redbridge, are the only GF beers I can get in my area.

Cheers,

Crystal Tinsel

Latest posts

Back