Another Summer Heat Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus_Rider_22

Reaction score
Just bottled my latest brew. It is as follows;

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cerveza
1.5kg Wheat Malt
300g Caramunich 1
20g Galaxy @ 20 min
20g Galaxy @ 5 min
US-05

Anyway it was sitting at a nice 22 and my ice packs melted and I totally forgot about it for the last 3 days.
When I rescued it, it was up near 30! :unsure: It would have probably been 27+ for at least 2 days. I am hoping most of the fermentation if not all had been done by this point but I guess we'll see.

It finished at 1011 from an OG of 1042. Tasted a bit "tangy"/"alcoholic" as I was bottling. The thread is just too come back and report how much the high temps affected this brew. :icon_cheers:

Hopefully any fusal alcohols (if any were produced at the high temps) will dissipate over time, put a few bottles aside for later sampling.

May be a silly question, but how do fusal alcohols dissapate if the bottles remain sealed?

Amen for a Temp controller for your fridge...
Pays for its self over and over....

So if the fermentation is complete is it less important for temperature control? I have one in the fermenter that has been in there for 2 weeks not and i'm going to bottle it over the weekend. It has pretty much been at 20 degrees but the last few days due to Melbourne's hot weather it has been up around 22 - 23 degrees. Given it would have finished its' fermentation 4 or 5 days ago, will it matter?

Cheers,
Hazwald

Wont matter at all if the ferment has finished. Can't remember who said it before but think of it as a diacetyl rest, like they do for Lagers.

So if the fermentation is complete is it less important for temperature control? I have one in the fermenter that has been in there for 2 weeks not and i'm going to bottle it over the weekend. It has pretty much been at 20 degrees but the last few days due to Melbourne's hot weather it has been up around 22 - 23 degrees. Given it would have finished its' fermentation 4 or 5 days ago, will it matter?

Cheers,
Hazwald

Depends on the style to a degree but you should be fine if the majority of fermentation was complete. If it's been at 20 I'm guessing it's an ale of some sort?

Certainly was - it was a James Squire Amber ale knock off!! It's at 13 days now so fermentation should well and truely have finished so i'm happy about that. Good to know that the first 7 days is probably the most important for temp control.

Back