Another Priming Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunched

Reaction score
Just about to bottle my mexican cerveza and wanted to make sure I've got the right idea. I'm not going to bulk prime for this round but will be individually priming each bottle.

I'm after a medium to high carbonation level around a 7 out of 10. I'll be using dextrose and long necks to bottle in. I was thinking 2 teaspoons (6 grams) in each bottle would be sufficient. Will this be ok?

Hey Crunched,

Do a search, there are heaps of tables and information on here for priming

Kabooby :)

Just about to bottle my mexican cerveza and wanted to make sure I've got the right idea. I'm not going to bulk prime for this round but will be individually priming each bottle.

I'm after a medium to high carbonation level around a 7 out of 10. I'll be using dextrose and long necks to bottle in. I was thinking 2 teaspoons (6 grams) in each bottle would be sufficient. Will this be ok?
You need about 5 grams for each 750ml bottle. A teaspoon is about 5 grams. Two teaspoons per bottle is asking for problems.

Hey Crunched,

Do a search, there are heaps of tables and information on here for priming

Kabooby :)
Cheers Kabooby - looking at most of the tables, it seems like I want about 160-200g for my 23L to give a carbonation level of about 7 out of 10. That to me works out about 5-7 grams per 750ml. I was using 2 teaspoons, to aim for 6 grams, but was unsure and actually used about 1.5 teaspoons to be safe.

So Brewtus, if a teaspoon is indeed 5grams, I've added around 7.5 grams per bottle. I'm sure a teaspoon of sugar is 3grams, but will measure this tonight on the digital scales.

Crunched,

I think you will find that one of those sugar measuring thingies that you get from a HBS (The ones with a combined tallie & stubbie measure) are 5.0g in the tallie bit?
I bottle what's left of my preferred brews after kegging & just use the above for the sake of convenience & find it works for me.
If you want to add around 6.og just heap the measure up to as much as it will hold & Bob's your uncle.

TP :beer:

Back