Another Noob Infection Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berneye

Reaction score
Bottled my 2nd attempt at AG on Monday from what I thought was a smooth sailing BIAB in an urn brewing session.
OG was at 1044. FG was at 1012 for three consecutive days so bottled thinking all is well. It was a Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale with some hops added to the fermenter so it was quite aromatic but didnt note any adverse smells.
Anyway bottled them on Monday and checked them today and noticed some clearing in the top inch of the bottle but floating on top of what looked like a well progressing batch was a dusty like scum which measures about 8mm at the top of the long neck. Have tried searching the site and google for any info to no avail. So I turn to the knowledgeable folk here for advice. Is my beer infected?

smell it... if its not too bad, have a taste.. you will know if it is....

Have you tried it? Could be anything from infection to hops floaties. Pour some into a glass. Sniff and taste and you should get a better idea.

Have you tried it? Could be anything from infection to hops floaties. Pour some into a glass. Sniff and taste and you should get a better idea.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Opened a bottle last night, its only been in the bottle two days but didnt notice anything dodgy. A slightly sour note at the end but no medicine type smell or taste.

Will give it another couple of weeks and re-taste.

Cheers again!

Latest posts

Back