Another Noob Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Musc and Smiley.

Just did more research on the STC-1000 and i'm surprised i havent' ordered one on ebay already tonight haha. I'm already planning how i'm going to build the box. Although I'll probably have to put the fridge in the shed so i'll need to add the heating element. What are people using for the heating side? a heatpad or belts or a globe (actually i have a lighting store at the end of the street so that could be easy)?

... I'd probably die of thirst before actually getting to enjoy the beer!

Look out Wall-E... Robocco will save the world, one beer at a time (which may take a while)

Welcome Robbo,

Ive only got a few months on you, but getting invoved in this forum has taken me from kit to partial to AG in a few months.
I find myself having a daily peak and learn something everyday from these guys & gals.

+1 on the stc-1000. Mine is in the post from China as we speak(e-bay), but temp control will be an issue leading into summer if you dont have a nice constant temp environment to look after your yeast.
I have found my best results keeping the ferment on the cooler side of 20C for my Ales

I'll let the masters educate you on the rest...just wanted to do my bit!

Musc

I purchased an STC1000 from china a while back and it's served me well. Just waiting on my second one, which I ordered last week, to arrive in the mail for my second brew fridge.

Oh Yeah, welcome to the hobby! You should update your location details in your profile as there are plenty of experienced brewers probably around the corner from who are always up to share some knowledge/beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Musc and Smiley.

Just did more research on the STC-1000 and i'm surprised i havent' ordered one on ebay already tonight haha. I'm already planning how i'm going to build the box. Although I'll probably have to put the fridge in the shed so i'll need to add the heating element. What are people using for the heating side? a heatpad or belts or a globe (actually i have a lighting store at the end of the street so that could be easy)?
In winter, I use a fan heater (not the best). Would go for a belt if I could find a cheap enough option. In summer, ambient heat is the way to go. Just set your temp controller on or below your desired ferment temp. In winter, I use the ambient air to keep cool and the heater to warm up. It does get difficult this time of year when the bloody weather Melbourne is so famous for won't make up it's mind!

I've got an ale bubbling away nicely at 16-17 degrees in the fridge without heat, though I was aiming for 18-19. Yeast fermentation actually produces a little bit of heat.

You'll love little creatures brewery if you haven't already been there. As soon as I touched down in Perth for the first time last year I headed straight down to Freo!!

Comparing G&G to a regular homebrew shop is like comparing a pint of little creatures pale ale to a stubby of tooheys extra dry. You'll get the ingredients to make a stock standard beer but you lack that craft expertise, fresh ingredients and more bang for your buck.

Trust me it'll be your local home brew shop if you really get into craft beer.

Bowie

Did i eally just say that? read and enjoy mate, just don't take it all for gospel

Did i eally just say that? read and enjoy mate, just don't take it all for gospel

Rotten,

either you've been drinking and can't spell right, or i've been drinking and can't read straight.

*burp*

I reckon it's 'really' both of us

'burp again'

Well the first brew is in the Fermenter.
Gave everything a quick clean with Brewclean then rinsed, then sanitised with a Brewshield solution in a spray bottle. Rehydrated some US-05 for 30 mins in 37degree water then added it to the can/brew enhancer mix. Topped up to 23L and away we go. OG was 1049 i think (was confused for a while about how to read the measure...). The mix was about 23 degrees when i put it in the cupboard yesterday, and when i checked it this morning it was around 17-18. I haven't got the temp control setup yet so i'll have to see how this goes.

Robbo,what you making
DU....
...are you just asking the question just to up your post count lol :p
The OP said it in his first post.....
" bought the Cascade Pale kit from Brewcraft in Richmond (Cascade Pale Ale + included yeast and Brew Booster #5"
Good luck Robbo,
And welcome
Ferg

Thanks Ferg. Yeah Du, the only different from the OP was the US-05 instead of the kit yeast. Looking forward to getting stuck into it!!

Went to G&G on Saturday to pick up the yeast and found the place was pretty packed. Eventually waited till it died down a bit then had a chat with one of the guys about what i should go for. He was really helpful

Well the brew has been bottled for just over a week now. It was brewing for 2 weeks in the cupboard. Remained fairly well on 18 degrees for the first week then got up to 24 at times during the second week as we had some pretty solid weather come through. I actually just picked up a fridge last weekend from hard rubbish so I'll make a trip to Jaycar tomorrow to pick up the rest of the bits to go with the STC1000 i got from eBay. FG was around the 1008 mark.

Ended up filling 12 longnecks and 37 stubbies. I tested a couple of bottles after a week and they had good colour and head, and it definitely showed signs of that Pale flavour, but it seems to have what i'm putting down as a fairly "Yeasty" edge to it. Are there any main indicators as to how this has happened? Maybe it stirred up a little too much as i put it on the bench before bottling?

it means it hasnt been in the bottle long enough. leave it 4 week and put in the fridge for a week and store upright in both and the yeast will compact on the bottom and pour the beer off till yeast starts to show and stop. Also in a tally pour into a jug with one motion and pour from the jug as if you stop the yeast will just go back into suspension.

it means it hasnt been in the bottle long enough. leave it 4 week and put in the fridge for a week and store upright in both and the yeast will compact on the bottom and pour the beer off till yeast starts to show and stop. Also in a tally pour into a jug with one motion and pour from the jug as if you stop the yeast will just go back into suspension.
Thanks Kelby i was hoping this would be the case. So i guess transferring to another Fermenter and bulk priming might reduce the chances for yeast or sediment in the bottles?

yes that will reduce it a bit, now you have a fridge chilling it to as low as the fridge will go without freezing it (yes my old fridge can freeze 23lts of wort) then do that for 3-5 days and you will see the difference rack it out of the fridge if you can so you are not disturbing the yeast cake. just add the sugar then connect the 2 taps together and fill the other fermenter/cube and a bit of a stir/swirl should be all it needs.

Well the first brew is definitely improving in flavour. I'll give it another couple of months. Meanwhile, the second brew was started yesterday.

Going for a Hoegaarden... mmm looking forward to this. Its been bubbly like crazy! Constant exhalation on the airlock.... and looks like there's been some froth come out the airlock sometime today...

Latest posts

Back