Another Keg Mash Tun Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you using a pump?I found with such a setup after an hours mash,anything that gets through your false bottom/manifold will clog the outlet tube/pipe.all the shit settles at the lowest point .with a pump it'll suck through,tho without,you need to blow back up through the ball valve to unclog.a pita.

Yes Im using a brown pump. With my esky mash tun and copper manifold I still used a Swiss Voile bag because it made the removal of the grains so much easier. I will be doing the same with this one so hopefully will stop any grains getting through the false bottom.

@ Thecarbinator.....No thats not a crazy idea and would work quite well. Its been done before. Might be a lot of extra cost etc compared to just insulating the keg with camping mat. It depends if your using a herms or rim as well. If not then the more insulaton the better. But if you have a rims or herms you probably wont need to go to those extremes. Im just going to wrap a camping mat around mine when I mash.

Does anyone know where I can get a length of stainless threaded pipe (MALE) around 200mm long

For the record - I have done almost exactly the same thing as you (I welded the elbow in place) for the Mash Tun I am working on.
I bought the pipe from Prochem and at work they had one of these to thread the pipe.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/1224-Threading...ne/EN/index.htm

I was thinking of just getting a piece of perforated sheet metal for the false bottom.
Anyone know who sells this?
I know Midway Metals do it but it is made to order only.

2013_01_06_08.36.57.jpg

Wolfy may be able to help you out with contact details, shoot him a PM. I know he made a few falsies recently.

Pretty confident Wolfy bought his perferated mesh from RS Components...

Latest posts

Back