Another Herms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoobrew

Reaction score
Hey guys - yet another Herms-related thread...

My situation: I have a 20L electric urn (2400W), an 8L aluminium stock pot, a 23-jet mongo and a 3m coil of 12.7mm copper.

Should I make a dedicated gas-heated Herms pot out of the 8L stock pot or throw the coil in my 20L electric HLT?

Obviously building the coil into my HLT would be neat, would save me from having yet another piece of brew gear to store and allow me to still use the mongo for boiling when I have batches banked up (ie one in the kettle and one in the mash tun). But I worry that the Herms coil will strip heat out of my HLT to the point that I'll miss my sparge temp (and more generally that heating times will be slow).

So my other thought is that a gas powered Herms would have no problem at all with speed of heating etc.

So I'm kinda torn - what are peoples thoughts, experiences?

have you read the thread that manticle suggested?

Why dont you throw the coil into your HLT for a few brews see how it goes if your happy leave as is if not change it around.
I would suggest HLT is fine if not looking to do temperature stepping.
Gas herms will be harder to control than an electric HERMS have you thought about an element in the 8L pot?

Latest posts

Back