Another Hefeweizen brew.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangover68

Reaction score
Yesterday i put down my 2nd AG and first wheat beer using BIAB process, pretty happy so far with hitting my targets.

23ltr batch

2.4kg pilsner
2.4kg wheat
Hallertau hops
20g@60mins
5g@20mins

90min mash@64c
70min boil

OG post boil of 1.044

Pitched WB06 this morning@21c and will drop that to 18c once the yeast starts to take off. First use of an inkbird with my fridge and heat belt, no need for cooling at this time of year as fridge is outside on my deck.

I paid a lot more attention this time to my strike water and mash temp, ambient temp in my shed was about 10c.
After 30mins i gave the mash a stir and checked the temp, it had dropped from initial temp of 64.2c to 62.8c so i put the heat back on until it reached 63.9c and turned heat off. Checked again after 60mins and was 62.9c turned the heat back on till just over 64c, stirred and left for the last 30min.
Hoisted the bag from the rafters and let it drain while i ramped the heat up to boiling, 64c to boiling was much quicker than the 12c to mash temp of about 45 mins for the 2200W element.

Sounds awesome mate. I’m hopefully putting down my first AG weekend after this one. Birthday present brewzilla. Gonna spend this weekend cleaning FV and everything.

SG reading and taste test, SG of 1.010 @ 4.5% ABV which i'm happy with.
Tastes just like a redback which is what i was hoping for, bottles washed and ready for bottling on Sunday.
Picked up 3 x cornys so likely to be my last big bottling exercise.

Following..... that would be similar to hoegaarden?

Mmmmmm

Ahhh ok.

I remember the banana clearly

9 days in the bottle and the first taste test, very happy with the flavour and the amount of head - even the wife approves and she's not a beer drinker.

Hefe.jpg

Won't be anything like Hoegaarden, as that's a Belgian beer, and includes unmalted wheat, specific spices, and a Belgian wheat yeast.
What Hangover 68 brewed is a Bavarian wheat beer, doesn't have spices, and used a dry German wheat/ale yeast.
His brew would be even better with a liquid yeast such as WY3068.
Guess what? I have one fermenting at the moment.
And if you like banana, then do as MHB suggests, use dextrose up to 10% of your fermentables.

Did another batch yesterday but altered the bill using pale malt instead of pils with a 60/40 ratio, re-used the yeast from the previous batch and its off like a rocket.

Latest posts

Back