Another beginner mashing too high.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnK

Reaction score
The original plan: Do a 23L batch of fatter yak as per the recipe Db, using Thirstyboys 2v BIAB method for a 30L urn. First batch of BIAB by myself.

The problem: about 10 min after mash in the temperature was at 63 rather than 66.7, so I gave it a nudge with the urn. 5 min after that, still dropping so I turned it back on, but then had to deal with an interruption, and by the time I got it turned off, it was up at 80!

So I ripped the top off and stirred to cool, and hurriedly did a bit of internet research. Figuring out that the enzymes were probably denatured, I pulled the grains 1hr after mashin, rather than end up with too much starch. After squeezing the bag to get whatever sugars were available, I ended up with 21L of 1069 (temp. adjusted) wort. I didn't end up sparging.

So, I topped up with plain water to 29L, added another 1.5L during the boil and then adjusted hops for a 25L batch.
End result, about 25L of wort at 1046 (temp. Adjusted).

Not bad since the target was 1047, but I wonder how much of that density is other crap released by the high mash temperature…

Obviously it's going to be a bit sweeter if there is more unfertmentable sugar.

Plan now is to pitch with US05 and dry hop for 3 days.
Any other suggestions for saving a batch that mashed that high?

(Lesson, insulate the urn better, and don't worry too much about the difference between 63 and 66. Well, not just yet)

Pitch and ferment as normal and see how it turns out. Maybe a litter sweeter and fuller bodied than desired but will probably be ok.
Certainly a starting point to improve from.
At very worst....you made beer.

I did this once half cut on a brew day,

Turned out to be the best full bodied midi I had done to date.

63 for 10-15 mins will have been plenty of beta amylase activity.

Was the whole mash at 80 degrees? Any length of time at that temp would denature alpha and beta but if it was between 70 and say 75 for a bit then you've inadvertently done a hochkurz mash.

This is how I mash pretty much every beer although I do it deliberately and with more control.

Newb question: Since 80C is mashout temp or even a bit higher, would this mean that some processes are stopped and irreversible stuff occurs? such as the remaining 45 minutes back in the mid 60's not convert as per usual?

elcarter said:
I did this once half cut on a brew day,

Turned out to be the best full bodied midi I had done to date.
I've got a few other beers planned first but I am keen to try making a mid strength super sessionable beer (maybe 3.5-4% ABV) but with malt body, maybe an ale or a new fangled low alcohol super hoppy APAs/ IPAs.

Chances are I will go with a high amount of Munich as the base and try a higher mash temp (was thinking 67-68C), any other tips from your accidental full bodied midi?!

Was a while ago but I think it was a Dr sumutro golden attempt, 4 hr drinking session before starting.

Well before hems and fancy stuff like that - Strike water was something stupid and it held it's temp at around 71- 72 half the 60 min mash.

I then diluted it down with about 5-6 liters of water "unboiled" - don't do that add it to the boil :D

Hops schedule was pretty late. As in shit I was supposed to add that 10 mins ago.

In sober summary I mashed stupid hot,
Added lots of late hop additions.
Diluted with water to help combat the full body and used 1056 @ 18ish deg.
Basically arsed it all the way.

Dr sumuto's borrowed from the recipe forum;
55% JW trad ale
20% Weyermann Munich I
20% Weyermann Wheat
5% Caramalt
Amarillo @ 60 to 31 IBU
1g/L @ 20 and 0
US05
Mash - 66C for 90 mins, 78C mashout

pat86 said:
Newb question: Since 80C is mashout temp or even a bit higher, would this mean that some processes are stopped and irreversible stuff occurs? such as the remaining 45 minutes back in the mid 60's not convert as per usual?

I've got a few other beers planned first but I am keen to try making a mid strength super sessionable beer (maybe 3.5-4% ABV) but with malt body, maybe an ale or a new fangled low alcohol super hoppy APAs/ IPAs.

Chances are I will go with a high amount of Munich as the base and try a higher mash temp (was thinking 67-68C), any other tips from your accidental full bodied midi?!
Yes 80 degrees is above the temp that both sets of enzymes get denatured. It's a combination of temperature and time but it's not long required at that temp. The denaturing is irreversible. However the OP's beer was at low 60s first. You could potentially mash at 70 for a short time without destroying everything, then drop to say 62.

If you want a full bodied beer low abv beer, mash at 70 for 30 minutes, then mash out. I do this with my dark mild regularly.

Thanks guys, will revisit this thread when the time comes and try and replicate the magic of ElCarter's brewday but also use Manticle's wisdom

manticle said:
Was the whole mash at 80 degrees? Any length of time at that temp would denature alpha and beta but if it was between 70 and say 75 for a bit then you've inadvertently done a hochkurz mash.
Yes, I should have gotten a good 20 odd minutes at something between 63 and 70 odd... Depends on wether my temperature probe was stuck in a cold spot.

Thanks for the tips all, will pitch on the weekend and cross fingers. ( and line up ingredients for another batch to hopefully get right this time )

Back