Andale flooded font

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldspace

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just bought a flooded font of Batz and really happy with it. I forgot when he told me about the piping.

I'm mounting and plumbing it up to my keezer today, there are 2 copper pipes out the bottom, one is longer than the other.
Which is the inlet and which is the outlet for the water/glycol recirc or it doesn't matter?

Cheers for help.

Short one is the inlet, long outlet. It does make a difference.

The coolant runs into the top of the font and then runs down and out.

Hold on Batz.

Are you saying if you use the long one as the inlet it wont chill the font?

Pratty1 said:
Hold on Batz.

Are you saying if you use the long one as the inlet it wont chill the font?
No

Well, ive been a busy boy this week, Super busy at work, super busy at home life, shot upto the Bonsai brewery to meet Batz, buy his awesome flooded Andale font. plus all his awesome set up which saved me time like the pump setup and water cube resi. plus taps. Thanks heaps mate, and you are welcome at my brewhouse anytime your down my way mate.including your understanding missus..lol. come and get on it one day:) ill get back your way one weekend in the new year once the aircon trade dies down this summer in my buisiness.
Got home , stripped off my 3 tap , snake fed fan font, gave to a mate of mine, got some pine from Bunnings, stained with red cedar stain along with a new shelf for my wall under my old band saws I picked up from a job at work from a guy who's grandfather used them 100 years ago. so my little brewhouse has special meaning... Got a 2 pack resin kit from Bunnings, mixed and poured over slab, to seal and give a hard surface. Plus to seal the wood permantly from wetness.
Once cured, sikaflexed onto top, modded under lid of keezer with checka plateto strengthen it plus give me room to put shank through it. Sikaflexed mini orb over front..
Mounted everthing, plumbed up with my gas manifolds on wall to give total control of gas pressures.
Been a fridge/ electrician dual trade has really helped do this build, plus the fact I'm a licensed beverage technician having worked for Coke for 15 year in my past has come in handy.

added 2 ltrs of glycol to 20 ltrs of water in tank and butted on hump thanks to batz previous engineering, butted hard next to cold wall of keezer. this gets the water down to -4 degees freeze point, not that I run it that low due to beer freeze point at average -2 for heavy ale. But I can run my set up at -1.5 , ice cold lagers plus super chilled font. no point in trying to ice the font up with separate chiller as if not pulling lots of beer through run the risk of frozen lines you can get away with this in commercial environment .

Very happy with the setup, you were right Batz, I will be happy with this font,... It was meant to be, cheers oldmate I'll look after her lol
Pictured is a awesome doppelbock after many helles tonight after a few pale ales sarvo with mates.

Blessed, Ive got an understanding wife that helped me with the build this week....

ching , ching, off to another doppelbock :)

keezer 1.jpg

keezer 2.jpg

keezer 3.jpg

keezer4.jpg

keezer 5.jpg

Coldspace said:
Well, ive been a busy boy this week, Super busy at work, super busy at home life, shot upto the Bonsai brewery to meet Batz, buy his awesome flooded Andale font. plus all his awesome set up which saved me time like the pump setup and water cube resi. plus taps. Thanks heaps mate, and you are welcome at my brewhouse anytime your down my way mate.including your understanding missus..lol. come and get on it one day:) ill get back your way one weekend in the new year once the aircon trade dies down this summer in my buisiness.
Got home , stripped off my 3 tap , snake fed fan font, gave to a mate of mine, got some pine from Bunnings, stained with red cedar stain along with a new shelf for my wall under my old band saws I picked up from a job at work from a guy who's grandfather used them 100 years ago. so my little brewhouse has special meaning... Got a 2 pack resin kit from Bunnings, mixed and poured over slab, to seal and give a hard surface. Plus to seal the wood permantly from wetness.
Once cured, sikaflexed onto top, modded under lid of keezer with checka plateto strengthen it plus give me room to put shank through it. Sikaflexed mini orb over front..
Mounted everthing, plumbed up with my gas manifolds on wall to give total control of gas pressures.
Been a fridge/ electrician dual trade has really helped do this build, plus the fact I'm a licensed beverage technician having worked for Coke for 15 year in my past has come in handy.

added 2 ltrs of glycol to 20 ltrs of water in tank and butted on hump thanks to batz previous engineering, butted hard next to cold wall of keezer. this gets the water down to -4 degees freeze point, not that I run it that low due to beer freeze point at average -2 for heavy ale. But I can run my set up at -1.5 , ice cold lagers plus super chilled font. no point in trying to ice the font up with separate chiller as if not pulling lots of beer through run the risk of frozen lines you can get away with this in commercial environment .

Very happy with the setup, you were right Batz, I will be happy with this font,... It was meant to be, cheers oldmate I'll look after her lol
Pictured is a awesome doppelbock after many helles tonight after a few pale ales sarvo with mates.

Blessed, Ive got an understanding wife that helped me with the build this week....

ching , ching, off to another doppelbock :)
Looks great mate! I'm sure it'll be happy in it's new home. :beerbang:

Coldspace,

Can you please elaborate on what this "2 pack resin" stuff is.
Is it this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-500g-cast-and-embedding-resin_p1874117
(I guess this is only 1-pack).

So you stained the wood only, then sealed it in resin?
I made my kegerator benchtop out of hardware fence palings - it looked great when new, but soon the wood shrunk, warped, etc. etc.
So now it needs doing over again.

EDIT: Posting ate the link

Mr Wibble said:
Coldspace,

Can you please elaborate on what this "2 pack resin" stuff is.
Is it this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-500g-cast-and-embedding-resin_p1874117
(I guess this is only 1-pack).

So you stained the wood only, then sealed it in resin?
I made my kegerator benchtop out of hardware fence palings - it looked great when new, but soon the wood shrunk, warped, etc. etc.
So now it needs doing over again.

Hey mate, go into paint section, get the 2 part "feast Watson" 1 sq mtr kit.
1 should do a keezer top. Best doing with it off the keezer as it's messy but easy to do. I got my pine slab, 2 light coats 2 hrs in between of red cedar stain, straight onto the timber under Neath and top.
Allow to dry over night, then sit top on something like saw horse, I used a large cardboard box from an air conditioner in got from work.

Level the slab off, and sit over an old tarp or drop sheets you want to throw out. As the resin goes over the top there will be a few drips over the side. Practice with the underside first to get the feel and also this will encapsulate the entire slab in resin so waterproof for ever.
Mix the 2 part resin and hardner to the directions for at least 3 minutes. Pour the required amount in thin lines up and down the slab, used a plastic scraper to help spread the resin evenly over the surface. You get about 10 min to do this so don't rush plenty of time. Use a cheap paint brush to spread over edges and the hole I had cut for the font.

There will be some small bubbles appear in the resin, get a small propane or map gas touch and buzz up and down the surface approx 300 mm away and this will pop the bubbles, but don't over heat.

Allow to cure for 24 hrs then flip it over and do top side. The 1 square mtr kit should do 1 slab for a 500 ltr chesty. I went 40 % amount of kit on the underside then rest on top.
I bought 2 as I did shelves etc for brew garden.
It comes up a treatment super hard wearing after 4 days, totally waterproof and looks wicked especially at night.
Equivalent to 60 varnish coats.
Easy to do.

One piece of advice, pour resin in the evening or early morning before it's to hot.
Do inside a shed, spray shed with fly spray before resin pour, pour resin and lock shed otherwise flies and moths can get stuck into the resin.
Smear any drips and over runs away during first couple of hours after pour with a small brush so they don't dry as a drop.
Practice underside if first if you never used this before.

Make sure slab is level both ways otherwise resin will run and self level unevenly

Once done a cured after 4 days, sikaflex top down on keezer and use weights like water drums or disk weights from home gym to keep slab flat while allowing sikaflex to dry over 2 days.

Cheers

EDIT: Posting ate the link

Yep, left my shed door up when I was doing the underside, in the morning there were 4 flies perfectly preserved in the resin. Looked like something out of Jurassic park lol.
Lucky it was the underside..
So when I did the top I made sure the shed was sprayed well.
I was thinking of resin a top out in a cow paddock, get covered in flies then use this a feature, and call the brew house the aussie fly blown brewery lol,
The missus put an end to that suggestion ha ha

Coldspace,

Great setup, you must be chuffed! Would you be able to post some more pics showing your glycol/water tank and pump setup?
Also, do you use your pump inline or is it submerged in your water tank? What brand/model is your pump?

I have recently acquired 2 x flooded celli cobra fonts and a small freezer and I'm looking to do the same setup but colder and with some kinda beer python to run the short distance to 2 x kegerators.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Redman9 said:
Coldspace,

Great setup, you must be chuffed! Would you be able to post some more pics showing your glycol/water tank and pump setup?
Also, do you use your pump inline or is it submerged in your water tank? What brand/model is your pump?

I have recently acquired 2 x flooded celli cobra fonts and a small freezer and I'm looking to do the same setup but colder and with some kinda beer python to run the short distance to 2 x kegerators.
Any help would be much appreciated.
My tank is just 20 ltr jerry can with a 1000 ltr per hour pond pump that is plumbed out side the bottom of jerry then off to the font. Batz had all this made up when I bought the font and res set up from him late last year, it's a great job he did, simple but works a treat ,I just reassembled it all, added 2 ltrs of glycol to 20 ltrs of water and run my keezer at -1. Super cold beers and and the font stays cold , well I only turn the pump on when serving beer but it's run over night and was still reasonably cold in morning after the setup got a hammering one night lol.

You can see the jerry can sitting on the freezer hump of mt 500 ltr chesty in one of the photos, fits perfectly thanks to Batz engineering .
I try and keep it butted hard to the cold wall in freezer. But plastic takes time to transfer heat when the load is on, but I'm more than happy with this. I used my old font fan from previous setup to run inside to keep everything nice and even temps through out. I love it....

I thought about running a bigger tank in another freezer at -5 with higher glycol concentration like 35% but couldn't be bothered with extra hassles and don't have the room for it.

But your idea will work, just use commercial grade thick walled insulation from a dedicated refrigeration supply shop such as Actrol or Heatcraft. Thicker the better.

You will need a bigger pump than 1000 ltr hr to push it through longer lines and 2 fonts, prob go to 5000 ltr and if too much could always tee off inside the freezer with a tap to adjust pressure and flow to font with the excess returning into the holding tanks.

One guy in the USA runs similar system to what you want, he uses 25 ltr tank in freezer and out to font, returns back via silicone 12 mm lines, then into freezer , through 20 mtr copper coil to loose heaps of heat then back into tank. Apparantly it works good, but I could't tell you if it would keep up long term to hold ice on the font as most glycol chillers return via coils that are submerged in liquid to get maximum heat transfer.

I even was looking around for a small 50 ltr freezer, that I could seal up, fill it directly with glycol mix, then run a coil of glycol through it and off to font, controlled by a temp controller. It would need agitation inside via another submerged pump or agitation motor. This would work but I though, gee when do I stop lol.

Plus could't find a chest type freezer smaller than 140 ltrs, so no room where my setup is, one day maybe I'll go all out...lol.

I'm trying to KISS, , going to save my bucks for a bigger brew system as my poor gf is copping a flogging.

I'm so busy with work ATM but will have time to relax this weekend to go take some pics for you, just remind me end of week if you still want some.

Back