Anchor Low Protein Flour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I've researched brewing flour (as long used by many UK breweries and apparently by Coopers at their old site - and maybe new one?) and it was specially selected to be low protein.
I've come across this low protein cake and biscuit flour from Anchor - in Woolies - and using it today in a Sparkling Ale.

Last year I did a batch of CSA style using just plain ALDI flour and it turned out great with around 300g. It's the one that I lost then found and entered a bottle in the BABB minicomp for comments only, it picked up 37 and would have come third. Gnash wail.

Anyone else use flour in Ales and UKs? OK for BIAB as no stuck sparge problem, I'm even thinking of boiling it into wallpaper paste then cereal mashing it with some BB ale.

What's the aim of flour in a beer ? I've heard of people adding it to Wit's and Hefe's to get the haze.

Similar idea to torrefied wheat, wheat malt etc in Ales to promote heading and lacing. Wheat is generally in Aussie Pale / Sparkling recipes. I used terrified wheat in my last APA for head, to good effect.

Edit: the idea of torrifying the wheat (turns it into wheat bubbles) is to avoid stuck sparge in mash tun systems, but not an issue with BIAB so I'm going straight to the wheat.
second edit: I could always go to a feed store and get chook wheat and Marga it but it may be too high protein, being feed wheat. The idea of the low protein is to avoid haze, not promote it.

I wonder that since the flour starch will go into solution as it is converted, there might not be so much stickiness left behind by the time you are sparging? I've never tried flour but it does seem to be a cheap source of fermentables.

I wonder that since the flour starch will go into solution as it is converted, there might not be so much stickiness left behind by the time you are sparging? I've never tried flour but it does seem to be a cheap source of fermentables.
Whats wrong with 3 kg of table sugar ?
GB

I once contemplated an ALDI Ale with flour, cornflakes, oats etc but chickened out.

What's the aim of flour in a beer ? I've heard of people adding it to Wit's and Hefe's to get the haze.

As said - same as raw wheat, wheat flakes etc. I've used it in a wit a few times with nay trouble (low quantities mind). Low protein flour should = lower haze. I'm interested how it turns out Bribie :icon_cheers:

Bump, it's only just got pitched, been in a cube for over a month B)
The actual brew day went fairly well but using 250 of flour boiled to a sort of wallpaper paste, in the mash, on hoisting the bag I got a fairly slow run off, sort of the equivalent of a stuck sparge. The inside of the bag got covered with a sort of grey 'skin' which I guess was the beta glucan or something - and I had to massage the bag to keep it draining. Would probably block braid or whatever in a 3V system.

The wort so far seems to be very frothy in a "creamy" way and looking forward to trying it. :)

Latest posts

Back