Anchor Brewery review

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalbarluke

Reaction score
This is just a brief review of Anchor Brewery in San Francisco.

Was booked in for a 1 pm tour with my wife (who doesn't really like beer unless it's a super dry sort of lager). The tour starts with about 30 min talk about history of brewery and types of beers they brew. Then about 25 min tour through the brewery and bottling area. The tour finishes with a free tasting of six of their beers. We had Californian Lager (hopped with cluster and a lot like XXXX), Steam Beer, Liberty IPA, Bock, Brown ale and Stout. Walked out at about 3 pm, quite pissed.

The Liberty was very nice, as was the Brown ale. My wife drank most of the beers and really liked the Steam beer which was surprising. In fact, she liked the tour better than Alcatraz. Even better, it was all free. They also give you free posters.

If you are ever in SF make sure you go. It is a really great tour.

You have to book a few weeks in advance.

I got to try the barley wine and the smaller beer made from the second runnings.

Mind you, my tour was at 11am. It was a fun day.

It is an interesting tour, they ferment in open squares for some of their beers.

Edit: I also got a keyring bottle opener after the tour. The guide claimed it was made of titanium (I was skeptical), but it has been going for a year now, and hasn't bent or misformed at all like all my cheap openers have. From memory it was $5.

Its great isn't it. I rocked up too late for a tour, but was able to tag onto the end of a tasting at the bar. Was a beautiful sunny afternoon in SF - that brewery has some character!

Latest posts

Back