Amount of yeast for a high ABV beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwood

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Putting down a Black IPA today and as this is my first high ABV beer I was wondering about the amount of yeast to use. Generally I just throw one dry pack of Safale US-05 in, and was wondering if I should bump that up to two packs on this recipe?

View attachment Black IPA.xls

Generally it's recommended to use one pack per 20-23L of wort with OG of up to 1.050. Higher than that, I'd throw two packs in. Rehydrated first, of course :icon_cheers:

Also, check out the 'Mr Malty' and 'HomeBrewDad' websites - they both have yeast pitching calculators

That looks like a nice brew mate. I agree with goatchop, go with 2 packs rehydrated.

Here is the link to Mr. Malty: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Just as an aside, I be inclined to move some of your hop additions to later in the boil. Not sure if you have more of each hop variety but I'd do a 60m of magnum, 30m of Simcoe to get to about half your IBUs then get the balance from 10 and 5 minute additions. That way you'll get the same level of bitterness with more flavor.

Also the Munich and Wheat malts will need to be mashed with some base malt.

Just my 2cents.

shacked said:
Also the Munich and Wheat malts will need to be mashed with some base malt.
Really? Things I have read suggest not.

edit: Further to that I made a beer that was 50% Munich II and 50% Wheat.

Munich and malted wheat need mashing but have diastatic power enough to self convert.

indica86 said:
Really? Things I have read suggest not.

edit: Further to that I made a beer that was 50% Munich II and 50% Wheat.
My mistake, you are right.

manticle said:
Munich and malted wheat need mashing but have diastatic power enough to self convert.
Munich is on the edge of, will convert but goes better when some good pale malt is added to give it a kick along

In this case, the wheat malt should give it any extra assistance it needs. Have mashed all munich grists before though, no issue.

One of the best beers I've ever tasted was a 10 min 100% Munich IPA.

Yes, I know Munich will convert....I am agreeing ...But we know what to expect from it, new brewers may not

And back to the yeast

Big starters in high ABV beers is not allways the answer...in fact its the wrong one

Yes the yeast will eat the sugar, but when the %alc buils up the yeast dies

Remember that Alc is the by-product of fermentation, and Alc is poisinous to yeast. Bit like drinking your own urine.

You want a yeast that can handle high %alc beers, not lots of yeast that cant

Back