American Pale Ales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roo_dr

Reaction score
Fresh Hops from the USA, the perfect time to throw down some APA's, to try out some of the new hoppy goodness. All 2009 crops...

Same basic recipe:

8.5L boil, 7.5L transferred and topped up to 10L

100g Crystal Malt steeped and added to boil
500g LDME to boil
500g LDME at end of boil
260g Glucose at end of boil.

US-05 yeast

First up was the Amarillo:
10g at 45min
15g at 15min
20g at 5min
33 IBU

The smells coming off this during fermentation were amazing, now sitting in the fridge ready to be bottled.

Second up was the Cascade:
10g at 45min
15g at 15min
20g at 5min
35 IBU

This one is still bubbling away in primary, but just tasted it and it is already great. I'm very excited!! :party:

Now I've got Willamette, Galena, and Saaz to go. Do you think it's worth trying the same with these too?

Never used the Willamette or Galena before, and Saaz only for dry-hopping.

Keeping the same grist, or in your case the same kit/extract base is a great way to work out hop profiles. You can make totally different beers by varying one ingredient (hops, yeast, grain etc).

Well the All Amarillo is now fully carb'd up, a quite refreshing ale with a subtle, but definite, taste of grapefruit. Maybe a breakfast ale!

Next week I'll be cracking the All Cascade...

Correct me if I'm wrong - APA's should be drunk relatively young? If I understand right the flavour profile is likely to decline with prolonged bottle conditioning? How long is too long?

Edit: Spelling

you will start to lose the hop hit after about six weeks or so depending on how you store them.

you will start to lose the hop hit after about six weeks or so depending on how you store them.

Thanks! The impending long weekend sounds like a great excuse to find the way to Amarillo then.

I just finished bottling my APA 3 days ago and can't wait for a few weeks to pass.

I put down:

- 1.7kg Coopers Traditional Draught
- 1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt
- 250g Dextrose
- 30g Cascade @ 60 mins
- 20g Cascade @ 30 mins
- 15g Amarillo dry hopped affter 7 days fermentation
- US-05 yeast

Smelt good during fermentation (2 weeks at 12 degrees, 2 days crash chilled at 2 degrees), and the cheeky taste I had before bottling was great.

:blink:
12 degrees??
Is that a typo? I didn't think US05 would ferment so low.

I Was that impressed with my APA that I've got a double batch in the fermenting fridge now. I'm not sure if it's a true to style APA but I don't really care either because it's a nice beer. My 1st (23L) batch was:

1 can coopers Mexican cerveza
600g dex
200g LDME
15g each of galaxy & cascade @ 15
15g each of galaxy & cascade @ 10
15g each of galaxy & cascade @ 1
15g each of galaxy & cascade dry hopped after 6 days
us05
bulk primed with 140g dex

The one that's currently in the 60L fermenter I accidentally made to 48L instead of 46 & I went with 1kg dex & 600g LDME for a bit more body. Everything else I just doubled the recipe. Is there any value in 1 min hop additions? I could probably chuck them straight in the fermenter.

Back