American Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your experience is your experience and maybe the hops you use differ from mine but I don't believe that's a steadfast rule. Plenty of hop trub in plenty of fermenters with nary a problem.

It may not have come from the hops, it was the only time i left the whole thing, hops and all in there. So I put it down to getting an extremely harsh bitterness from doing so.
I might have to give it a go again one day and see if there is any difference from what I can remember from last time

I'd agree with whoever sugested Dr Smurto's golden ale, Neil's centenarillo seems pretty popular too, have a look for the thread "everyone should brew this". It was onto it's 8th page last time I looked I reckon. I had a mate send me a recipe for an APA which I'll be bottling tomorrow. I couldn't get centenial hops so used galaxy instead.

1 can coopers Mexican cerveza
600g dex
200g LDME
15g each centennial & cascade @ 15
15g each centennial & cascade @ 10
15g each centennial & cascade @ flameout
15g each centennial & cascade dry hopped

OG 1.056
FG (I think) 1.012

I'll get another reading tomorrow before I bottle but I don't expect it to drop further. I've only ever boiled hops with water, I've never added any extract. Shows how much I've got to learn I suppose. I've also learnt from this batch that chucking a whole heap of hops in a fermenter without a hop bag may not be the best idea. Judging by the time it took to get a reading tonight it's going to take a while to get the beer into my priming bucket.

For hop utilisation you're normally looking at a SG of 1.040. You add your hops to that while it's on the boil and bingo bango you start your timer.

I'm certain all the advice given so far regarding the amount of hops refers to a SG of 1.040. I'd be shocked otherwise.

Hop utilisation is highest in plain water. It is most suitable in 1040 wort (or a gravity reflecting that of your finished (but not fermented) wort).

andrew i have previously had the same experience with a jsga clone recipe where i just poured all wort and hops in to the fermenter and it was harsh to say the least, 6 months on now and i reckon it could still strip paint... easily the worst beer i have made, my very first coopers lager fermented at 35C tastes better in the bottle.

Hop utilisation is highest in plain water. It is most suitable in 1040 wort (or a gravity reflecting that of your finished (but not fermented) wort).

Terrible wording on my part. :unsure:

Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for the help, and in light of Manticles pearls of wisdom ;-), thought I'd lay something down.

Just put in the fridge:

1.7kg Coopers Traditional Draught
1.5kg Amber Malt Extract
300g dextrose
30g Cascade @ 60 mins
10g Cascade @ 30 mins
10g Cascade @ boiled in the AME with dextrose for 15 mins

US-05 yeast pitched about 22 degrees. Should ferment in the fridge about 16 degrees.

Thinking of dry hopping about 15-20g Amarillo after about 7 days.

Cheers all.

Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for the help, and in light of Manticles pearls of wisdom ;-), thought I'd lay something down.

Just put in the fridge:

1.7kg Coopers Traditional Draught
1.5kg Amber Malt Extract
300g dextrose
30g Cascade @ 60 mins
10g Cascade @ 30 mins
10g Cascade @ boiled in the AME with dextrose for 15 mins

US-05 yeast pitched about 22 degrees. Should ferment in the fridge about 16 degrees.

Thinking of dry hopping about 15-20g Amarillo after about 7 days.

Cheers all.

Nice work!

Should be a really tasty beer!

Were you going for a dark ale type beer?

FWIW, I dry hopped 2 fermenters with a bunch of hops and there is a bunch more already in there. If you carefully siphon from the top, it is easier to get clear beer out then via the tap. That said, if there are hop particles in my beer, I take it as a sign it is going to be good. You get much more benefit from letting them swim about in there unfettered by the shackles of women's stockings (even though it is noted that the hops are female).

No wonder they rarely do what I want them to.

No wonder they rarely do what I want them to.
:lol:

For the first time ever I used hop plugs for dry hopping. When I racked it to secondary there were heaps of hop particles still floating around. Smelled like goodness as well.

I have brewed the following around three times now and it is a favourite of mine:

23L Batch
1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
1kg DLME
350g dextrose
150g malto-dextrine
400g Baird's Pale steeped at 67C for 30 mins
15g Cascade @ 15 mins
15g Cascade @ 0 mins
20g Cascade @ dry hopped at 4 days

Re-cultured Coopers Pale Ale yeast pitched @ 22 degrees. Fermented for 2 weeks @ 17C.

Just checked the brew.

It's sitting in the garage in a fridge which is turned off and temp of brew is about 17ish degrees. It's not too warm here in Adelaides north (28-30 during day down to about 14 at night) so should be able to shut door of fridge at night and leave it slightly ajar during the day. Just starting to slowly bubble in airlock.

Hoping this will turn out to be a slightly bitter and medium dark kind of pale ale.

It's not too warm here in Adelaides north (28-30 during day down to about 14 at night) so should be able to shut door of fridge at night and leave it slightly ajar during the day.

I'd personally do it the other way around, open at night and closed during the day. I am a little scared of high temps, and US05 is a hardy yeast.

Checked the thermometer in the fridge with the door open and it read about 20 degrees (shitty plastic thermometer on the side of the tub said 16-17 degrees). Was thinking 20 degrees might be a bit on the upper end for the yeast. Was trying to get this to brew around a constant 18 degrees-ish with the US-05 yeast for about 2 weeks.

Back